Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:12 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a company they could recommend? I'm in Cary. I just got one estimate and it seemed high ($240 for 0.25 acres). Is that high? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 01:33 PM

146 posts, read 691,097 times
We just had someone aerate and overseed our .3 acre lot in Cary for $175. Some of the bigger companies around here wanted around $300 to do it, so your estimate seems normal for them.

Our guy runs his own small landscaping business, so we found his rates much more reasonable, and he did a great job. DM me if you'd like his contact info.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 PM

168 posts, read 500,217 times
Jorge Pacheco
Just did aeration, seed and fertilization on my .48 acre lot for $160.
919 412 1852

Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM

275 posts, read 1,114,743 times
Doesn't seeding require watering? We want to see & aerate too, but where are we going to get the water (we can only water 1 day per week). The spritz we got today won't be enough..

Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM

We are on three day restrictions in Cary so I'm hoping that will be enough.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:50 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
You can get a 3 week permit in Cary to water for reseeding.
Watering Permit Application

Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's unbelievable how much it costs to have such a small lawn look decent. I have one more question. The company I got the quote from also suggested power seeding which was $60 more than seeding and aerating. About 90 percent of our lawn looks good, but we have some bare areas because our lawn went in in June of 2006 and we didn't get irrigation for three months. Has anyone power seeded and is this a better option for a lawn with some bare spots?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
I'm not sure what power seeding is...but in our neighborhood everyone does their aerating/reseeding themselves. We all pitch in for an aerator (usually about 4 or 5 of us) and use it for one day (so we have to coordinate pretty well)...returning it the next. Then we all seed our lawns ourselves. The aerator rental ends up costing around $15/$20 per family.

We also found out that certain seeds don't take well to an aerator (the one that does plugs). For bermuda it was recommended that we get a "slicer"...not sure what its called but it puts shallow slices in the ground, which Bermuda likes better.

Just a thought.
Lauren

Old 10-03-2007, 09:47 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
I'm not sure what power seeding is...but in our neighborhood everyone does their aerating/reseeding themselves. We all pitch in for an aerator (usually about 4 or 5 of us) and use it for one day (so we have to coordinate pretty well)...returning it the next. Then we all seed our lawns ourselves. The aerator rental ends up costing around $15/$20 per family.
Lauren, I must say that is a well organized and terrific story about community endeavor. Great to hear that your neighbors are all for one, one for all. And, I bet, your neighborhood looks great for it!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:57 PM

169 posts, read 419,212 times
Power seeder, slit seeder, all the same thing. I just returned one to Hertz Equipment rental today. It cuts slits in the ground and drops seed into them. They call it a power overseeder. It works well for overseeding, and is very good at breaking up the top couple of inches of soil. It costs $45 a day to rent this. I warn you that it's a dust generator, and you should wear jeans or some short of leg protection. My legs are all bruised and bloody from wearing shorts, but your lawn might not be the rock pit that we have out here in Clayton.

You all think you have it bad. Our front and back lawn are probably about 15,000 sq feet total, maybe more. The back yard was just a clay wasteland. I've spent the past 4 days moving 14 tons of topsoil I had delivered, cultivating that, fertilizing front and back, power overseeding and laying seed in the back. I am finally at the watering stage, and hoping to not get ticketed or we get some rain. Only things left are to put straw down tomorrow and keep watering.

I've spent close to a $1000 doing this all myself with all materials and equipment rental, so what you all are talking about sounds darn cheap to me! If you have any questions, I've become somewhat of an expert by necessity. I highly reccomend the Scott's lawn book they sell at Home Depot and Lowes, it's been my lawn bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary