Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 04:33 PM

31 posts, read 47,067 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious to see how the rezoning worked out. How is Northside doing?
We were looking around this weekend and liked a house in Cobble Ridge. We just realized that that neighborhood is zoned for Northside (while I would be ok with the middle and high school options). I have found very little recent info but it looks like it's a C school with a pretty high poverty rate. My youngest still has about 3 years till kindergarden but would hate it if we ended up in a school that is horrible.
I would love to hear from parents, though, because many times data on paper will just not be the same as real experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 07:48 PM

82 posts, read 134,739 times
My 4th grade kid goes Northside now. Previously he attended Morris Grove ES (we didn't get redistricted - bought a house which is zoned for Northside.) We like the school - I think academically it's on par with Morris Grove. Otherwise, it's more diverse both in race and socioeconomic ways, which we enjoy very much. We've had good/bad teachers in both schools.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:35 AM

Thank you! I am all for diversity if the teachers are able to handle it and maintain a good level of education. The house we are thinking about is in Cobble Ridge. I've read that it is a long bus drive, but when I look at the map I see it's only 3 miles away, so I am trying to figure out if that is actually true. Does anyone know?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:30 AM

82 posts, read 134,739 times
You can probably call the Lincoln center to find out. My son's bus comes around 6:50 (we live in the county side west of the University Lake). That's a bit earlier than what I'd like to see, but works for our family schedule. Normally I drop him on my way to work.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbus22 View Post
Thank you! I am all for diversity if the teachers are able to handle it and maintain a good level of education. The house we are thinking about is in Cobble Ridge. I've read that it is a long bus drive, but when I look at the map I see it's only 3 miles away, so I am trying to figure out if that is actually true. Does anyone know?
Cobble Ridge is a nice family neighborhood!

Northside from Cobble Ridge would probably be a 10-15 minute drive (the northside neighborhood has a lot of narrow streets and awkward turns and the school is right in the middle of the neighborhood). But obviously a bus ride will have to make stops so it may be more in the 20-30 minute range.

Considering when I was in elementary school in Wake County in the 90's, I had bus-rides that were routinely over an hour long each way; I don't see any bus ride in this district as being excessive in length but again it all depends on perspective.

Cobble Ridge is in the area that used to be assigned to FPG (right down the road from Cobble Ridge) until it turned into a magnet-only school when they built Northside 2 years ago. Not quite sure why they made FPG magnet only but I would assume it was to diversify Northside a little more.

With regards to the higher F&R lunch population at Northside (or any elementary school in CHCCS) it's also worth noting that many of those students come from households that have one or two parents that are actually in post-doc programs at UNC. Yes there are many poor refugee/immigrant families as well; but a lot of the kids are actually from well educated families don't have money right now because their parents are in med school, dental school, etc. This is especially true for Northside and Glenwood.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 AM

Yes, I think we like Cobble Ridge very much because of the walkability to schools and activities (middle and high) and it is a bit more affordable than Southern Village. Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't seem so bad so far...

Old 02-23-2016, 06:09 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I think Cobble Ridge is a very nice neighborhood! I live right down the street in Southern Village and take walks through there quite often. I know three families who live there who all seem happy with the neighborhood. I don't know if I would let Northside stop me from moving there, although it would give me some hesitations. It is a bit far from the neighborhood - ten minutes in non-rush hour. With school starting at 7:50, I imagine the bus comes quite early to pick up the kids. But that might not be an issue for you - we are not morning people in our house. I also LOVE having the elementary school in our neighborhood and being able to walk there. Our school really feels like an extension of our neighborhood. But I'm a SAHM who walks down to our school to volunteer or help in the garden or run by with a forgotten lunch - things I probably wouldn't do as often if the school was farther away. But, those things might not be important for you.

The school does probably have among the lowest elementary school test scores in the district (I think probably only FPG is lower), but that's very likely based on the socioeconomic demographics of the school. And as long as other students aren't holding your students back, it is probably fine. And the school has the advantage of being a very nice, new facility! Honestly, your kids will probably be fine no matter where they go to elementary school in Chapel Hill, and the neighborhood is pleasant and affordable.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 PM

Thank you, michgc. The early hours don' t scare me as much as the "longer" bus ride. We are trying to run away from that...it would be so nice if my kids could just walk or get to school in minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary