Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:27 PM

81 posts, read 141,925 times

Advertisements

Having issues with closing on the house we are purchasing in Clayton. We are already on our way from out of state, and we have to put our stuff in storage, so we need to find temp housing for my family for at least the next 2 weeks which is in the same area as the school my kids are going to go to (Riverwood Middle School). My main concern is getting my kids enrolled in school, so the rental needs to be in the Riverwood boundaries. Unfortunately, the contract for sale is not enough to get my kids registered. We are under the gun, since orientation is a little over a week away.

Does anyone have any suggestions for short term rental in Clayton. My main concern is finding something SAFE and CLEAN.

Thanks in advance.
Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:52 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
They really won't let you register the kids with the purchase contract? I'd go right to the school which may force their hand. I've never heard of that before. We did it in Wake County and I know you could do it in our old district in NY.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They really won't let you register the kids with the purchase contract? I'd go right to the school which may force their hand. I've never heard of that before. We did it in Wake County and I know you could do it in our old district in NY.

I spoke directly with an administrator at J. Co. School District, and I was told that if I found a rental outside of the Riverwood boundaries, I would have to" apply for reassignment" and there is no guarantee that would be approved. Even then, our temp residence still has to be in J. Co. So my first route is to try to find something within the boundaries.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,800 times
I would just wait until settlement. I have had many students in my class from the northeast(where schools don't start until after Labor Day) not start until September when they were moving south.(some didnt even realize school starts here in Aug.) They will only be missing 1 week of school, which gives you 3 weeks from now. It just seems a lot to go through for 1 week missed.
Just find an extended stay hotel in Clayton/Raleigh area until settelement. My friend from NJ did that a few years ago when her rental was not ready when she moved here. ..and just had her kids start school 1 week late...it was not a big deal and even though the kids started one week later, they were not counted "absent" because they had not been registered yet.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq72 View Post
I spoke directly with an administrator at J. Co. School District, and I was told that if I found a rental outside of the Riverwood boundaries, I would have to" apply for reassignment" and there is no guarantee that would be approved. Even then, our temp residence still has to be in J. Co. So my first route is to try to find something within the boundaries.
Like I said - best bet is to go right to the school and "play dumb". Although it says right on the JoCo schools website you will be asked to provide a "land contract".

Registration - Registration

I'd take a screen shot and hilight just in case the school gives you any trouble.

Previous poster also has a good idea but I'm afraid of what happens if your closing is delayed again

Old 08-11-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Like I said - best bet is to go right to the school and "play dumb". Although it says right on the JoCo schools website you will be asked to provide a "land contract".

Registration - Registration

I'd take a screen shot and hilight just in case the school gives you any trouble.

Previous poster also has a good idea but I'm afraid of what happens if your closing is delayed again
Yeah...that's what I plan on doing. I mean...I show up, and when they say "where are you living until closing" and I say "in my car," what will they say? LOL. I have to laugh right about now or I will cry.

Yes...I have the same concern about the "what if" regarding the closing being further postponed. I'm trying to make this transition as smooth for my kids as possible. Also, they are both in middle school....one who is starting the first year of middle school. As you can imagine....it will be easier for them to assimilate with the other kids if they start on the regular schedule and attend orientation on Aug. 23rd. I do appreciate the input and suggestions, though.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 PM

You know, I would have them go to the orientation no matter what. I doubt they will be checking people in. If they are you can maybe scoot by.

Also of interest: McKinney

Middle school is tough but if they DO have to start late - look at this way, everyone will know they are new and may make more of an effort. Not sure how it works in JoCo but here there are several elementary schools feeding into the MS - so kids from one school may think your kid is from another school and assume s/he has friends from there, KWIM? But kids are used to newcomers here so no matter what I'm sure they will do great. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
You know, I would have them go to the orientation no matter what. I doubt they will be checking people in. If they are you can maybe scoot by.

Also of interest: McKinney

Middle school is tough but if they DO have to start late - look at this way, everyone will know they are new and may make more of an effort. Not sure how it works in JoCo but here there are several elementary schools feeding into the MS - so kids from one school may think your kid is from another school and assume s/he has friends from there, KWIM? But kids are used to newcomers here so no matter what I'm sure they will do great. Good luck!
Thanks so much, Twingles...I will check out that link. I am hoping that I show up at the school on Monday and all my worries were for nothing. A month from now, I hope I will be able to laugh about how stressed I was.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:51 PM

128 posts, read 217,224 times
Hi Suzeeq72 where did you wind up buying? We just arrived in Clayton last week and are renting this year. I don't know of any short term rentals this way but maybe try Clayton Residential Rentals and ask if can do a 1 month rental? Definitely agree on standing your ground with the school district and reiterating to them how difficult it is to relocate to begin with and they should help your children with the transition as much as possible. Good luck and welcome to Clayton!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
Both in Chapel Hill and where we just came from in NoVA, we just needed a signed contract. I'd bring that and tell them you are staying in a hotel until then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary