Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM

342 posts, read 872,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Since this car still has AZ plates and title, I'm betting that selling it myself in NC isn't going to work - is it???? Would I have to retitle and re-register it myself to NC before I sell it?
I don't see why you would. As long as you have the title, you can sell it here and then someone would take the title to the DMV and pay taxes, transfer it, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 02:49 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish923 View Post
I don't see why you would. As long as you have the title, you can sell it here and then someone would take the title to the DMV and pay taxes, transfer it, etc...
Right on. You dont need to title a car in a particular state to sell it, any state's title will do. As far as registration goes, you don't need to register it at all if you don't want to. It's a piece of property. Sell it to someone, and registration is their concern.

All you need to sell the car is a legit title and signing authority (meaning if you have a lien on the vehicle, you'll need the banks authorization and that varies based upon your financial institution). Whoever comes with a bank check, cash, whatever you accept, well the rest is their responsibility.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I've sold many items on Craigslist and never had a problem with scammers.

I will be posting some furniture for sale on there and I'd like to know, what is it that scammers do? Do they call and not show up? Do they ask for info.?

TIA!

Vicki
You will get a lot of e-mail SPAM, most of it very inappropriate. You might also get scam e-mails asking you to cash their check for $500 (as an example) over the amount you are selling your item for. They will ask you to mail the $500 to a P.O box.
Last time I sold on craigslist I used a Google phone number (someone on city data recommended it). It's free and simple to use. They call the Google #, which forwards to your phone #. They have to say their name and when you answer your phone, you will have a choice to answer or ignore ("You have a call from ____, press 1 to accept or 2 to ignore"...or something like that). That way they never have your real phone #.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
wonderful! Thank you. I'm going to pay off the lien this week, then I'll have a clean title to transfer.

One more thing that we require when we buy sell on CL - cash only. When it's a car being sold, and thousands of dollars of cash, we meet them AT THE BANK to do the transfer.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
3. Pay with counterfeit cashier's check

Carmax beat dealer on my 2003 Corolla in 2007
The easiest way around number 3, which you should do anyway, is to meet them at their bank while they get the check.

I have had three estimates from CarMax. All were below wholesale. I have had good luck buying and selling on CL.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
I will offer some tips for selling on Craigslist. Just sold a $15,000 car on there a few weeks back.

Get a Google voice number. It's free, and you can forward to your cell. You can even use it to text.

In your ad put this right at the very top.

***NO EMAILS PLEASE. YOU WILL NOT GET A RESPONSE DUE TO THE HIGH NUMBER OF SCAMMERS***

If you get any emails ignore them. IT IS A SCAM.

When you put your number in the ad, do not put all the digits. Do something like this (989)-555 one two three four. Spell out some of the numbers. I have heard spammers have programs that will dig through craigslist and add your number to call lists. Once you're on the call list you will never get off. I know this first hand, because I get occasional calls saying this company can offer me a lower rate on my credit cards. Which is ironic because I don't own a single credit card. I have a lot of fun with those scammers

Be prepared to get people to text you low ball offers. It's actually kind of comical, and I had fun with some of them. I got one that said "I can do $12,000 today". I replied back with "I can accept $15,000 tomorrow".

If you can pay off your lien then do that before selling. It makes the transaction so much easier. If they give your lien holder a certified check, they will not release the lien for 7-10 days. They will only sign off if the other party brings cash.

Do not accept a certified check. Only take cash, or have their bank wire the money. If they insist on a check, meet them at their bank when it's being issued. You cannot take any chances with a certified check.

Last tips are clean your car. I had so many people comment how clean my car was. I have looked at a lot of used cars and so many were really dirty. Vacuum the car, wipe the dash board, clay bar, and wax it. You will get a lot more money for a car that looks like it's been really taken care of. I even take them in for an oil change right before they go up for sale.

Once your car is clean take a lot of photos inside and out. Craigslist will let you put 8. I personally upload them to photobucket, and then put the links to the photos in my ad. They show up larger and people really like it. About 3 months ago I sold my wife's escape in 24 hours on craigslist. The guy who bought it commented how nice my photos were.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Since this car still has AZ plates and title, I'm betting that selling it myself in NC isn't going to work - is it???? Would I have to retitle and re-register it myself to NC before I sell it?
It will work, I have done it before. It's a bit more of a pain than if it had and NC title, but it's possible.

As for having the car stolen, molested, killed or assualted, meet the person in a public location and follow your gut. Meet them in person, and ask for cash, or go to the bank with them when they get the check.

I have bought and sold cars on craiglists, it's a bit of a hassle but that is the price you pay for not going through a dealership.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM

15 posts, read 28,215 times
You would be better off with auto trader imo but it wouldn't hurt to do CL to only issue with CL is the above mentioned low ballers . I sell a lot of cars on CL for my boss , and myself . You will eventually get a good buyer , but you have to deal with the people looking for a deal .

A lot of people will call and offer you half price over the phone before looking at it . These people I tell "why dont you come look at it first " , usually ignore them . Or the famous "whats the lowest price you'll take" . My responce is what ever price o posted in the add , then mention I will entertain offers when you come look at it . People looking on auto trader our similar seem to be better with just being reasonable .

I often ask$1-1500 over what I want fire negotiation purposes . And usually end up getting more then I wanted.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I will offer some tips for selling on Craigslist. Just sold a $15,000 car on there a few weeks back.

Get a Google voice number. It's free, and you can forward to your cell. You can even use it to text.

In your ad put this right at the very top.

***NO EMAILS PLEASE. YOU WILL NOT GET A RESPONSE DUE TO THE HIGH NUMBER OF SCAMMERS***

If you get any emails ignore them. IT IS A SCAM.

When you put your number in the ad, do not put all the digits. Do something like this (989)-555 one two three four. Spell out some of the numbers. I have heard spammers have programs that will dig through craigslist and add your number to call lists. Once you're on the call list you will never get off. I know this first hand, because I get occasional calls saying this company can offer me a lower rate on my credit cards. Which is ironic because I don't own a single credit card. I have a lot of fun with those scammers

Be prepared to get people to text you low ball offers. It's actually kind of comical, and I had fun with some of them. I got one that said "I can do $12,000 today". I replied back with "I can accept $15,000 tomorrow".

If you can pay off your lien then do that before selling. It makes the transaction so much easier. If they give your lien holder a certified check, they will not release the lien for 7-10 days. They will only sign off if the other party brings cash.

Do not accept a certified check. Only take cash, or have their bank wire the money. If they insist on a check, meet them at their bank when it's being issued. You cannot take any chances with a certified check.

Last tips are clean your car. I had so many people comment how clean my car was. I have looked at a lot of used cars and so many were really dirty. Vacuum the car, wipe the dash board, clay bar, and wax it. You will get a lot more money for a car that looks like it's been really taken care of. I even take them in for an oil change right before they go up for sale.

Once your car is clean take a lot of photos inside and out. Craigslist will let you put 8. I personally upload them to photobucket, and then put the links to the photos in my ad. They show up larger and people really like it. About 3 months ago I sold my wife's escape in 24 hours on craigslist. The guy who bought it commented how nice my photos were.
Good post.
I have sold a couple on CraigsList, and have done OK with it.

The photo pointer is excellent. You can embed the photos from Photobucket or Flickr and they show up great.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
You will get a lot of e-mail SPAM, most of it very inappropriate. You might also get scam e-mails asking you to cash their check for $500 (as an example) over the amount you are selling your item for. They will ask you to mail the $500 to a P.O box.
Last time I sold on craigslist I used a Google phone number (someone on city data recommended it). It's free and simple to use. They call the Google #, which forwards to your phone #. They have to say their name and when you answer your phone, you will have a choice to answer or ignore ("You have a call from ____, press 1 to accept or 2 to ignore"...or something like that). That way they never have your real phone #.
Thanks for the info.!

Do you think these scammers are just targeting people selling larger items?

I ask this because a few months ago, I posted furniture on CL, with my home number (that none of us answer unless we recognize the number).

I got a few calls from people, asking for information.

The people that purchased the furniture left their phone number on my answering machine so I called them back and set up a time for them to come over when hubby was home. I also told them we would only accept cash.

They showed up on time, purchased the furniture, everyone was happy.

I agree it is somewhat scary to have strangers coming in to you home but being cautious and getting the buyers information, like phone number and address, is about all you can do.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary