Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:07 AM

61 posts, read 216,192 times

Advertisements

the thing that scares me the most is that I used Google earth to take a closer look and it says that the road the house is on is lower in elevation than Crabtree Mall. This makes me nervous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 09:14 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Lower than the mall??? Whoah. Didn't think that was possible unless you were actually IN the creek?

Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM

'course, I could be reading Google earth incorrectly.. This also coming from internet, so it's not a real topographic map mind you. My realtor that I'm working with says there is no worry with the home since he thought it was up a hill from the mall. I'm not sure... sounds like more research is required. Look before you leap, as they say... I would love to be able to talk to a homeowner up there... anyone from Turnberry on the list? or have friends that live there? What I'm battling is that my wife and I want to be as close to the city as we can get without breaking the bank, and this area would be great for us as far as conveniences... shopping about five minutes to each side of us, walking and biking and nature at Shelly Lake, and about fifteen min drive to Glenwood for restuarants and the like... Hard to beat that without going above $350K. The house we're looking at hovers right at $300K for 2500 sf. It's a 1986, but I'd take older for location if I can get it!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:32 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
well, I tried to find something on that subdivision for you...you're definitely further from the mall than I thought you were hinting at....up the hill a decent ways! So I don't think you'd have to worry about major flooding from the Mall area.

There are several smaller streams running through that neighborhood though. Without knowing the exact location of the house, I can't tell ya whether you're at risk for what we call "urban flash flooding"...but I'd say just find out where the house is in relation to those streams and as long as you're several hundred feet away, and not in a flood plain, you should be decently safe.
Although, flood insurance isn't a bad idea for anyone, I'd doubt you'd be in the "at risk" category, thus have pretty low rates if you did get it.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 PM

ill pm you the address thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary