Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM

842 posts, read 2,588,222 times

Advertisements

Does anyone who moved here to the Triangle from up north still has the Ez Pass thing on their wind shield? I have not used mine for 4 years and am wondering if it is still good should I decide to visit NY again. Anyone with one of these and did not use it for a while knows if it will still work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
You should be able to check your account online. And make sure the credit card is up-to-date that is used to replenish the account. I've never not used mine for that long, but we've never had a problem with many months going by and not using it.

Also, if you go through a toll booth and it doesn't give the green light, then you'll know that it didn't work, and you should call them.

One time my dad went through and he got a ticket. Turned out the battery had died in his transponder. They had to send him a new one and they cleared him of the fine.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
We use ours whenever we travel up north, which is not very often. We check our account online and keep money in it just in case. We've never had a problem.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:49 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Yeah as long as you have money on the transponder it will work. It's been about five years since I last used mine and according to my online account info it's still active.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
I used to have a Maryland EZ-Pass for when I travel up north, because Maryland didn't have a monthly maintenance fee. They caught on, though, and now charge $5.00 for any month that you don't have a toll charge. It's no longer worth it for me to keep the EZ-Pass for the toll savings I get traveling once or twice a year to Jersey.

So, does anyone know of an EZ-Pass program that doesn't have a monthly maintenance fee?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:42 AM

441 posts, read 1,291,912 times
Still have are's, but we travel to NY a few times a year

Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 AM

43 posts, read 86,803 times
We have had NY E-ZPass since its debut in late 90’s and for over 6 years now while living in NC. About 4-5 years ago I received replacement tags in the mail even though I don’t remember calling the office. They may just go by the issue date and send you new tags every X years.

There’s a table of fees by state in the Wiki article half the page down: E-ZPass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

We’re happy to pay buck a month to maintain the account because we save both money and time when visit family and friends in NY. Did you know that if you sign up for PACP plan and instead of $12 or more you’ll be paying only $3.50 for NYC tunnels and bridges? I love this plan even though not many people are aware that it exists :
Port Authority Carpool Plan: Available All Hours
The Port Authority Carpool toll rate is $3.50 and available to all E-ZPass customers who subscribe to the Carpool Plan. The plan requires that there are three or more people in a vehicle with non-commercial plates. Customers must use a staffed "Cash/E-ZPass" lane and come to a complete stop so that the Toll Collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle. Plan Code: (PACP)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
If the new tollway here (540/Western Wake Tollway) ever gets reciprocity with NY, NJ, MD, WV, etc. then your existing EZ Pass should work here. However, as of this writing NC Quick Pass isn't set up to work with other systems.

P.S. there isn't a monthly maintenance fee for NC Quick Pass if you use it.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Go to your account...make sure your address and everything is correct...credit card up to date and it should be fine.

NY/NJ tried a monthly fee a few years ago...it didn't fly.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
When I lived in MA I got an EZ Pass from NJ because the transponder was free and MA charged $25 for the pleasure of paying tolls with their FastLane transponder. I've had it since I moved here. I go to MA once a year. They email the statements and let me know when my CC on file is about to expire.

It looks like NC is charging for their transponder. So I will hold out until they accept EZ Pass on their roads fortunately most of my driving is not in Western Wake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary