Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 AM

24 posts, read 64,355 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house in Porto Fino off Ligon Mill in Wake Forest. We are concerned about the location of the train tracks as well as the future high speed rail. Anyone live in that neighborhood who can tell me about train noise or other issues? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,837 times
Cannot speak from experience from that location but:

House + Train Tracks nearby = noise

Never really heard a quiet train

Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Wolfcub has it right, train = noise.

As for the SEHSR (South East Highspeed Rail), here's a link to the main website: Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor

And here is the direct link to the part you'll be interested in: http://www.sehsr.org/pdf/54_update_map_Optimize.pdf

This part shows where the project is going to go from Rogers Rd (ish) to Capital Blvd, and you're right smack in the middle. It doesn't look like the project is going to take right-of-way from too many spots in this n'hood, but one thing to note is that Ligon Mill would be slightly realigned and some sort of new crossing (underpass, overpass or whatnot) would be constructed.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:06 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Funding for SEHSR is speculative. Odds it will happen within 10 years? On the order of 10%. Within 20 years? On the other of 30-50%. By the year 2100? On the order of 75%.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Funding for SEHSR is speculative. Odds it will happen within 10 years? On the order of 10%. Within 20 years? On the other of 30-50%. By the year 2100? On the order of 75%.

True, but some people might not want to risk it, even with those odds. Also, while it may not happen while you own the house it could affect the resale value down the road and if that occurs while someone is trying to settle your estate, it could be something to think about.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:27 AM

24 posts, read 64,355 times
Yes, resale is always important. Any hint of a train will devalue the house. We'll pass on Porto Fino. Too bad.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
I love hearing the train.... I live 1/2 mile from a crossing in Durham. You dont even notice it after awhile. Its not that loud and only lasts a few minutes.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM

397 posts, read 805,484 times
You don't know what's going to happen in 10 years with your life. You have to live some for today....and some for tomorrow.

A project that is due in 2013 is much more of a concern than something that might have a 20% chance by 2020.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM

71 posts, read 180,341 times
We live in the next neighborhood over, in Smith Creek. Initially I was concerned about the train, but luckily I am not on a lot that backs up on the tracks. I honestly don't even hear the train anymore after 6+ years of being here.

The high speed rail had everyone in the neighborhood up in arms a year or so back when the initial plans came out. They had a new road coming in off Ligon, and tramping right through the middle of the development, and taking out 3 or 4 houses to do so. Luckily they have adjusted their plans, and will re-engineer the end of our road onto Ligon, instead of closing it off as originally proposed.

As far as the Ligon construction is concerned, if it happens, it'll be ugly but we'll have to deal with it. It's a sight better than having my neighbor's house plowed down along with the 3 others next to him. Personally I'll believe it when I see it, as the funding is questionable, and looking at the economy I honestly don't believe the Feds or the State are going to pony up that much cash to make it happen.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I love hearing the train.... I live 1/2 mile from a crossing in Durham. You dont even notice it after awhile. Its not that loud and only lasts a few minutes.

I agree with train noise, there's nothing like the sound of a 100+ car freight train passing by and hearing the sounds it makes on the rails. I hope when I move I can be right next to tracks that have lots of freights passing by every day. I'd be in heaven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary