Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM

360 posts, read 996,304 times

Advertisements

I have a longhaired cat that for some reason has let his whole back get matted. He won't let me comb it out, and at this point I don't even think it's possible, so I think I am going to have to resort to having him shaved, but not sure who all does cat shaving? If anyone can recommend someone (with approximate prices would be great!), I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 PM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Do you have access to IV anesthesia?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you have access to IV anesthesia?
No, if I did I'd shave him myself But yeah, I'm not quite sure how groomers are able to shave a cat, we had one done a while ago, and I figured the cat would go nuts and scratch her eyes out, but I didn't see any blood

Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
No, if I did I'd shave him myself But yeah, I'm not quite sure how groomers are able to shave a cat, we had one done a while ago, and I figured the cat would go nuts and scratch her eyes out, but I didn't see any blood
They use a harness. Any decent cat groomer should be able to do it.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
They use a harness. Any decent cat groomer should be able to do it.
I just remember when we did it before we had a difficult time even finding a cat groomer. Most of them only do dogs. And the one we did find charged a lot of $$$.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM

233 posts, read 861,005 times
For years we have used Rachel with Curbside Clips. She has a mobile unit, so she can park right in your driveway or parking lot, much less stress on everyone than trying to take the cat to the groomer. She is wonderful, for years we had my long haired black cat (who was a terrible self-groomer) shaved by her, she made him look really great with a lion-cut style.

I'm not sure where you are located, but it can't hurt to give her a call. She stays very busy, she also grooms dogs, be patient, it may take a few days to hear back from her if you have to leave her a voicemail.

Her # is (919) 625-4213

Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
May I delicately suggest that you take your cat to a vet before you shave her?

It's unusual that she allowed her hair to become so matted - you inferred that yourself in the Ozp. And these kinds of 'unusual events ' are often the first sign that a cat will exhibit of a physical medical illness.

At its absolute worst, the cat may simply be entering the last phase of her life. Please, for her saje, confirm with a vet before you put her through the trauma and risk of being shaved, anesthetised, upset, etc.

Otherwise, the mobile groomer idea from Tassy is a good ine.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
May I delicately suggest that you take your cat to a vet before you shave her?

It's unusual that she allowed her hair to become so matted - you inferred that yourself in the Ozp. And these kinds of 'unusual events ' are often the first sign that a cat will exhibit of a physical medical illness.

At its absolute worst, the cat may simply be entering the last phase of her life. Please, for her saje, confirm with a vet before you put her through the trauma and risk of being shaved, anesthetised, upset, etc.

Otherwise, the mobile groomer idea from Tassy is a good ine.

Well, he's only about 6 years old so I know he's not dying Kind of wish he was though, I don't even like this cat, he's got some kind of mental issues. He acts like he was abused, but I know he wasn't because we've had him since he was a kitten. You go to pet him and he acts like you are going to hit him on the head and he pulls away, it's so strange. But if I pet my other cat, he gets jealous and comes up and gets between us. He's never seemed like the cleanest cat, I don't see him groom himself like the others, I think that's the source of the matting. And because he won't let me pet him, I never realized it was getting so matted until it was so bad that literally half his back is matted up. It's odd though, looking at it it's not all that noticible, but when I felt it I could tell it was all matted up underneath.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 PM

43,334 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Is this cat so fat it cannot properly groom?
I have seen that, too.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
I get my cat groomed at Cozy Cat Hospital near Lynn Road in North Raleigh. My other cat, who recently passed away, would always mat around August. She was a Himalayan. It seemed like this was the time of year that her new fur started coming in and if she had lots of old fur left, she matted. She wasn't good about grooming. So...every year, around this time, I'd take her to be shaved. They always did a great job. No cuts.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary