Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Whitaker Park?
Jimmy Hoffa took it...

NW of Hi-Mount
http://services.wakegov.com/realesta...pin=1705811290
ahhh, Oaks at Fallon Park. Though I remember the old Whitaker Park Apartments since I lived a block away as the crow flies.

Interestingly enough, there's a "green" house that can be bought in OFP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I hope the residents of Fallon Park, The Oaks at Fallon Park, aka Whitaker Park, appreciate the trees.
The ones they left up.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 PM

397 posts, read 805,415 times
If you're new to the Raleigh area, it might be good to rent a nice house for a year and see how you like the area you want to build around.

I always wanted to live DT and rented a higher end condo for a year.... and turned out it wasn't for me. I'm so glad I didn't up and spend a lot of money on a property on not really bond with it.

The Raleigh area is pretty "close in". This is not like living downtown in a larger city like Atlanta.

You might find that living very close to DT might be overrated and expensive for what you get.

There are quite a few very high quality neigbohoods that are 15 min to DT and offer so much more for the price per SF.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
^^This. I completely agree.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM

98 posts, read 216,153 times
To the pp about landfills, etc. if we built we'd like to do it in an environmentally conscious way, which could include recycling parts (or all if we remodel or add on) or donating the house or all usable parts. I'd rather not contribute to suburban sprawl by buying/building in a new development. Having lived in various cities for the past 12 years, I've gained an appreciation for population density in some areas to preserve as much green space as possible- hoping to do my part here. Ok I'll step down now

Old 08-17-2012, 06:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
For a lot inside the beltline at that size you are looking at 400k and up in most cases. If the house is a tear-down and it's known from the start you may be able to get into 0.4 acres or so at 4-450k. For new build, on top of lot cost, higher end you are looking at 150-200 psf and more likely towards the 200sf. Dixon and Kirby who have done a lot of homes in Fallon Park (to compare types of build) will price around 200 psf and up....but they are considered high end in the area and you can get good quality for less.

The other biggie is financing. Banks prefer to lend when you've got the lot price/tear-down and build plans all in one. They aren't big fans when you come to them wanting to tear down but without plans/builder in tow.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Fair number of tear downs in North Hills....more in the Shelly Road area between Six Forks and North Hills Dr.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Fair number of tear downs in North Hills....more in the Shelly Road area between Six Forks and North Hills Dr.
That's a good point. There's much more value for the money in that area. A 0.5 acre lot is not unheard of and it can be purchased for 150k-200k less than a similar lot ITB. The land is also much more flat than inside the beltline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary