Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 22,271 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of tubing the Neuse River near our house in North Raleigh this weekend but are missing an important piece - the inner tubes! Any ideas on where to find old tractor or truck inner tubes? Craigslist was no help...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
The Google could be of some help. My quick search turned up hits for auto inner tubes at AutoZone Auto Parts and O'Reilly Auto Parts, and several recreational float tubes at WalMart.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,934,762 times
Agri Supply in Garner, Tractor Supply Inc. or any tractor dealer parts department.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
We're going tubing down the Dan River on Sunday with a group of friends (10 of us in total). None of us have ever done this before and we're really looking forward to a few hours of fun!! This place rents large tubes, with backrests....also there are tubes for coolers so we'll be taking lunch, snacks and drinks. Here's a link if anyone is interested:
Canoe, Kayak and Tube on the Dan River

Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the responses. I checked out a Walmart and found they had all summer toy stuff on clearance. Picked up a couple "Floating Rockers" adult size for only $3 each - quite a steal. Also picked up a cooler float.
ljd1010 - Have fun on the Dan River!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Remember that this flotation device has to withstand any contact with rocks. That's why tractor inner tubes are preferred. I've been tubing down the Guadalupe rivermany times in TX, and these pool floats would be ripped up in 10 minutes.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM

804 posts, read 2,005,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Remember that this flotation device has to withstand any contact with rocks. That's why tractor inner tubes are preferred. I've been tubing down the Guadalupe rivermany times in TX, and these pool floats would be ripped up in 10 minutes.
this is a good point.

we went to boone a few weekends ago & tubed the new river by renting the nice tubes with backs & heavier duty materials. a few people near us ended up popping their tubes (some inflatables they brought, some like ours) on the rocks. you may want to check out pricing for heavier-duty tubes.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Yes - I had the same thoughts. I was already thinking about possible ways to re-inforce the bottoms. Maybe duct-tape? The vast majority of the trip should be floating without contact with rocks. In shallower areas we'd have to stand up and walk to be safe...
I'm still going to try to find some more substantial alternatives, but at $3 a pop, down form $20 or so - I couldn't resist!
Thanks again for the input!

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,004 times
ljd--Please report back when you can after your tubing trip. It sounds awesome and I am interested in it for my family and/or a group of friends. How far away in hours/distance is it from Raleigh?
Thanks! Have a great time ..it sounds like a blast.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
ljd--Please report back when you can after your tubing trip. It sounds awesome and I am interested in it for my family and/or a group of friends. How far away in hours/distance is it from Raleigh?
Thanks! Have a great time ..it sounds like a blast.
I live in Cary....according to google maps, it's about 100 miles from my house. Looks like we take Rt 40 and then head north around Greensboro. I'll definitely post back afterwards. The trip down river is supposed to be very easy, taking anywhere from 2-4 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary