Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 PM

336 posts, read 716,264 times

Advertisements

My two oldest have seasonal induced asthma so that is a concern. Weird thing is, they only had trouble twice a year in MD, but in NY it is more frequent and lasts for much longer. Pollution?? It's that bad??

I live in upstate NY near Saratoga Springs so our traffic is VERY laid back here compared to MD. I HATE MD traffic, the congestion, the constant accidents, etc. Here you rarely even see police. The speed limit is 65 compared to 55 in MD and it plus the lack of congestion really seem to make a difference.

I am NOT a city girl. I prefer small town and acreage. Is it not possible to get that near Raleigh? I know my husband would prefer to be within a half hours drive of wherever we move and I don't know yet exactly where his company's location is. I have to check. I just REALLY want some place where my kids can drive ATVs around the yard if they want and we can have some 4H animals. But, I DO need a large home in addition to the land because I do have a large family being that I take care of my two relatives in addition to my children.

How far is Raleigh and Charlotte from the beach? When I looked Charlotte up on Mapquest, the only thing I knew to put in was the Outer Banks or Nags Head and it said 7 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
How far is Raleigh and Charlotte from the beach? When I looked Charlotte up on Mapquest, the only thing I knew to put in was the Outer Banks or Nags Head and it said 7 hours.
Mapquest says 175 miles and just under 4 hours from central Charlotte to Myrtle Beach, SC. The closest beaches in NC would be those just north of Myrtle (Sunset, Ocean Isle, Holden, etc.) or around the Wilmington area (Kure, Carolina, Wrightsville), and those are just a bit further.

Central Raleigh to Wrightsville Beach via I-40 is about 130 miles, and can be done in 2 hours or less. The trip to Nags Head on US 64 checks in at about 200 miles, or just a little more than 3 hours. I can travel the 240 miles from my house in Durham to Rodanthe (south of Nags Head on Hatteras Island) in about 4 hours.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
The RDU has some of the darkest roads and thoroughfares I have ever seen for a major metro area. I am just amazed at the lack of lighting on I-40.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think there's too much light in the area. I have to go out of town even in Chapel Hill to see the stars. Way too much light pollution.
As with everything else, it's all relative. My husband and I marvel at all of the stars we can see at night at our home here in Chapel Hill. We saw way fewer in Northern Virginia.

OP, where in MD, did you live? I might be able to help with some comparisons. I lived in MD for 11 years.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
The allergies will depend on what they are allergic to. Lots of oaks and pines here. Of course, according to my allergist, you can move anywhere and develop allergies after a few years anyway, so unless young onto the desert, I'm not sure you can really escape.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:04 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Since my wife has been drinking organic green tea with raw honey her allergies have been significantly reduced. It wasn't an overnight thing by any means, but it has helped a lot. 75% reduction at least.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My husband and I marvel at all of the stars we can see at night at our home here in Chapel Hill. We saw way fewer in Northern Virginia.
I'm right in the middle of town, so that may make my star gazing worse. On a positive note, we went out to Maple View the other night to see the meteors and it was pretty good star gazing there.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
...On a positive note, we went out to Maple View the other night to see the meteors and it was pretty good star gazing there.
Hmm...I like your thinking! Any excuse to get some Maple View.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary