Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick001 View Post
Pfish, sorry about that. My new job doesn't have an office yet, but want to be near the capital, most definitely. They are the ones who keep saying "downtown Raleigh," so I didn't know the difference. But I know the office will be (and I quote) "within walking distance to the state house." Does that help? Just looking for an easy commute in and out, within a 20 minute radius or so. Is that possible? People have said North Raleigh would be an option, but I don't know any neighborhood names and you can't search by "North Raleigh" on any of the web sites, just "Raleigh."

Someone mentioned Zebulon - again, too far out?
Okay...got it! Thanks. I was confusing Capital Boulevard with the Capitol building.
Okay...so, for sure I stand by my recommendation of Garner as an option. There are plenty of places in Raleigh proper that will also meet your need to be within 20 minutes and, as most would suggest, many of those are to the North.

As I said in my previous post, the culture of Garner is going to be more Southern than other places namely Cary and Apex. This might appeal to you or not. That's for you to decide. I will say that many places in Apex and Cary are going to be hard to reach in 20 minutes but there are places in southeast Cary (east of US 1) and just to south of Raleigh's city limits (between Cary and Garner) that might also be a good place to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 PM

46 posts, read 77,129 times
If you like a more rural setting, I would go south of the city, in the areas off Lake Wheeler Rd/Penny Rd/Ten-Ten Rds. You can get much more bang for your buck, and since you don't need to commute to the RTP area, I wouldn't choose Cary personally.

I live in Turner Downs, but Eagle Ridge is also a popular subdivision near me, both are outside of city limits in the 27603 zip code. Takes 15-20 minutes to get downtown.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:15 PM

39 posts, read 121,668 times
You might be able to find something like you're looking for in some of the suburbs out Wade Ave. inside the beltline near Meridith. I wouldn't think it would take much more than 5-10 minutes to get to the Capitol from there even during "rush hour."

Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM

49 posts, read 188,263 times
I'm in Wake Forest and drive downtown M-F, 7am-3:30pm. It's about a 20-25 min commute. You should easily find some Wake Forest homes in that price range in Heritage or Granite Falls. Granite Falls has a nice pool/club for the little one. The only problem you will find is that the yard sizes for those homes are small- maybe .25 acre or less. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,547 times
You should live in Cameron Village, if you can afford it. Houses are about $400,000 - $500,000. Maybe off of Oberlin Road?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,376,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahgrfx View Post
I'm in Wake Forest and drive downtown M-F, 7am-3:30pm. It's about a 20-25 min commute. You should easily find some Wake Forest homes in that price range in Heritage or Granite Falls. Granite Falls has a nice pool/club for the little one. The only problem you will find is that the yard sizes for those homes are small- maybe .25 acre or less. Good luck!

I did a similar commute at a similar time for 3 years and I agree that it was about a 20-25min drive with little traffic to speak of. HOWEVER I'd add for the sake of the OP that this is mostly a function of the fact that you're commuting from 6:30 to 7:00am and 3:30pm-4:00pm instead of the height of traffic. I remember a few times I was running late (leaving at around 7:30am) that my lovely, traffic-free commute turned into a headache that lasted ~45min.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 AM

75 posts, read 226,897 times
I have been commuting from Fuquay Varina to downtown Raleigh for the past few years with no complaints. It usually takes 25-30 minutes to get to the parking garage. Of course, if there is an accident or inclement weather, it could take longer.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:15 PM

80 posts, read 192,096 times
You may want to consider Renaissance Park in South Raleigh if you are going to work downtown. It's about 10 minutes from downtown. We rented a 4BR brand new house with about 3000 sf there for $1800/month, but decided to buy elsewhere. They have some smaller houses and townhouses also available for rent (usually by the owner or developer (who hasn't sold the house yet)). We liked living there for proximity to downtown (you can see the Wells Fargo building) and the amenities available in the neighborhood (pool, fitness center, lighted tennis courts and a business center). There were lots of families with toddlers/young professionals living there -- not as many families with school aged children (feeder schools at that time weren't great). They have neighborhood events like July 4th parade, socials, etc. and have an e-group that shares information. Lots of walkers and groups of young professionals that hang out at the pool and sand volleyball courts. I thought it was a really convenient place to live while we learned enough about Raleigh to decide where to buy. Caveat: the development is large and really nice. Some of the stuff on the South Saunders St side is not, but we never had any problems and the families are really proactive about keeping the neighborhood safe/nice. The Tryon Road side is nice enough and makes for a quick trip to Cary.

The website for the development is Renaissance Park :: Home

Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM

29 posts, read 55,123 times
Thank you all so very much! We definitely like the 'burbs kind of feel and saw some really nice rentals in Wake Forest, but the realtor said the traffic is pretty bad going into Raleigh. Hmmm... Also, I'd need to be at work between 8:30-9 a.m., right at rush hour. Just have no idea about how to get a rental within a 20-min. range, esp. now that I hear there will be a closing of the beltline (is that correct?). Starting to rethink taking the job due to all of this... so your help is VERY much appreciated!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,362 times
How about Knightdale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary