Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Ya know we get the snake question so often on this forum it makes me wonder....aren't there snakes everywhere?????
Yes, but other states don't have the highest rate of venomous snake bites in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
^ Must be those snake handler churches in the mountains, running up the score!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Contrast that with the humans I've known who have gotten bitten. One had to have emergency surgery on his finger (the bite site) because the doctors feared nerve damage. One was give anti-venin. One had his whole leg turn black and blue after stepping on one after dark. A boy in my child's class had to miss the first week and a half of school and use crutches for a period of time following a bite to the leg.
Not only that, I read that the cost of antivenin is something like $15,000 per dose, even with insurance? (or maybe insurance doesn't cover it??). That's MUCH scarier than a little nerve damage, to me!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I don't think the cost was an issue, but not having proper use of the hand for the rest of his life was.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
take it from me, there is no such thing as "a little nerve damage".

Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Hardly any copperhead bites are fatal. When considering the cost of the anti-venom, makes on be kinda like Jack Benny....if you're old enough to remember.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
The antivenin is not given in all or maybe even most cases, but in this case there was the possibility that the person would lose some of the use of her fingers from nerve damage due to the extensive swelling and would not be able to work as well in her job. I never heard anything about how much the treatment cost.

I never heard anything about antivenin in the other cases I know about which were the more common bites on the foot/leg.

Here's an article from the N&O about copperhead bites in the Triangle:
We're No. 1! The bad news? For copperhead bites - Health/Science - NewsObserver.com

Also, the person with the bite on the finger was bitten by a baby copperhead. They can be just as bad as the full grown ones — maybe worse. There's a school of thought that says the babies don't know how to hold back on their venom and shoot it all while the adults hold back for later.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
It's nice to be number one - except for this!

I love snakes and welcome all nonvenomous snakes to my yard. Well, not ALL at once. Really would like to keep my fingers. I haven't moved yet, but can think of several places in my new yard that seem like copperhead vacation villas (large hole in tree stump, large pile of leaves from last fall, some tubing under deck). I have a feeling I will be completely paranoid about this to the point of obsession. Hm.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 AM

248 posts, read 754,248 times
My one irrational fear is snakes so I have tried to educate myself on them over the years. Most adult venomous snakes do not inject their venom in you because they only produce enough for meals and takes awhile to make more. Juvenile snakes can't control their venom so that is why they are consider more dangerous then adults. What messes you up is the bacterial infection from their fangs so a good round of anti-life (biotics) is the normal treatment. Just remember 70% of all snake bites are to people trying to kill the snake , just leave them alone. The only non lethal method to remove snakes is to disrupt their homes and then they will leave.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Or you can get a honey badger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary