Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:37 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times

Advertisements

You are most welcome guys (o:. It can be fun to look up stuff. It was interesting that the canebrake rattlesnake is considered by some to be a subspecies of the timber rattler (from the natural sciences link).

Can't remember if the wiki link was posted already, or not. But here it is again anyway. The map can be enlarged quite a bit. Where is that "small" brown patch in the green part?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_rattlesnake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 PM

This site says the two are not separate subspecies as previously thought. Heck if I know, lol. Good night.

Timber (Canebrake) Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus)

Old 10-07-2017, 09:15 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
<>Can't remember if the wiki link was posted already, or not. But here it is again anyway. The map can be enlarged quite a bit. Where is that "small" brown patch in the green part?
<>
Possibly Uwharrie National Forest?

Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 AM

Ok, thanks Crash. I just got here last monday, and don't know which side is up yet, lol. I'll look online for it.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:57 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
You are most welcome guys (o:. It can be fun to look up stuff. It was interesting that the canebrake rattlesnake is considered by some to be a subspecies of the timber rattler (from the natural sciences link).

Can't remember if the wiki link was posted already, or not. But here it is again anyway. The map can be enlarged quite a bit. Where is that "small" brown patch in the green part?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_rattlesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Possibly Uwharrie National Forest?
That brown patch seems too far east for Uwharrie.
The rivers that are shown that it is east of would be Cape Fear & Haw I think and
it looks like the brown section would be near Raleigh/Durham.

This site is showing the patch as an area in North Durham County, SW Granville County and SE Person County.
(for mlulu 23, that is about an hour north of Raleigh)
http://herpsofnc.org/timber-rattlesnake/

Last edited by kelly237; 10-08-2017 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-08-2017, 10:08 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks Crash. I just got here last monday, and don't know which side is up yet, lol. I'll look online for it.
It's a wonderful piece of preserved land on the way to Charlotte. Good boating and hiking, good for a day trip or overnight.
"Watch out for snakes, of course."

Old 10-08-2017, 10:28 AM

I apologize if it seems like I'm trying to hog this thread with umpteen posts. If I knew how to edit my old posts I would put all these links into one. Maybe you can't edit your older posts, bummer.

Search terms: Crotalus horridus in central North Carolina

This is a short tidbit from 2007 "I in conjunction with several members of the North Carolina Herpetological Society are working on a project attempting to document the continued existence of the Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus Horridus) in the North Carolina counties of Granville and Durham."

Central North Carolina Rattlesnakes - Experts Forum at VenomousReptiles.org

Wonder what happened with this. Maybe someone can take it from here. Have fun researching.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
I apologize if it seems like I'm trying to hog this thread with umpteen posts. If I knew how to edit my old posts I would put all these links into one. Maybe you can't edit your older posts, bummer.

Search terms: Crotalus horridus in central North Carolina

This is a short tidbit from 2007 "I in conjunction with several members of the North Carolina Herpetological Society are working on a project attempting to document the continued existence of the Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus Horridus) in the North Carolina counties of Granville and Durham."

Central North Carolina Rattlesnakes - Experts Forum at VenomousReptiles.org

Wonder what happened with this. Maybe someone can take it from here. Have fun researching.
Don't worry about the thread drift, happens all the time and the moderators get us back on track if
we are hopelessly of topic. Most forum members know how to read the threads they are interested in and
ignore the others

This is another source that shows the Granville County, North Durham area as a habitat for Timber Rattlers.

Timber rattlesnake

Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 AM

Thank you Kelly, and Crash. I almost posted that one for you too. Personally I can't stand snakes. They scare me poopless, lol. It's more of a morbid curiosity like being interested in tornadoes, or the Cascadia subduction zone in the PNW. Gosh I miss it up there on the Olympic Peninsula, but I had to leave to remove myself from my soon to be ex husband, and a bad divorce )o:. So am staying with family in Raleigh, and kind of feel like I've landed on Mars. Things will get better though. Maybe Boone would not be so hot for me. Don't have a car, and everything is so spread out here. Somebody call the Waaambulance please.

In the 70's I had lived in Ct for 8 yrs, and were told that there were timber rattlers in the state somewhere. So when I read that old post asking about them from someone in Ma I looked them up trying to be helpful, and got yelled at by someone who shall remain nameless. You can't win sometimes. ~ Claudia

Old 10-08-2017, 12:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Platitudes about kindness don't go very far when you call someone petty in the next breath. I never insulted anyone on this thread and am not a poster who throws insults around on City-Data.

There are a lot of copperheads all over NC and definitely in the Triangle. If you're afraid of snakes that's the one you need to be worried about.

North Carolina #1 for snake bites - | WBTV Charlotte
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...north-carolina
What to do if you're bitten by a snake in NC :: WRAL.com

I have lived in NC almost all my life and have seen many poisonous snakes. There are big rattlers in the mountains and the eastern and southeastern part of the state. Water moccasins/cottonmouths are in SE NC. The deadliest snake in NC is the coral snake in SE NC. There has never been a documented sighting of a rattlesnake in Wake County. There is a possible small population of rattlesnakes in far northern Durham County (not a place the average Triangle resident would frequent).

It's not helpful to dig up old posts and comment on things that aren't relevant to our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary