Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:32 PM

142 posts, read 520,234 times

Advertisements

I'm not worried about myself so much as I am for my small children. While I'd never let them play outside unsupervised, you never know what can happen in a split second. I just want to know if it's a big enough concern to most people to keep me up at night. I don't want to be so nervous that I don't let my kids play outside in the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 12:34 PM

633 posts, read 2,537,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
sweetie, just keep in mind there are snakes. Usually the more congested the area the less chance you will see a snake, and you are good to go,
oh, snakes don't bother me....I grew up in Oklahoma and my mom killed a 6ft copperhead in our front yard when I was 8 yrs old (note-consider we lived in a very very rural area)

I just wondered if there was something regarding the terrain/climate or something that drew them to a particular area around Raleigh/Cary, etc.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
I'm a triangle native and have only ever seen them in natural areas like Jordan lake. I've NEVER, EVER seen one in any of the neighborhoods I've ever lived in, but they do like water, so if there is a a body of water in your neighborhood, you're more likely to get one. We used to play in creek behnd our house as kids and still never saw the there either (although all the grown ups like to scare the beejesus out of us with stories about them so we'd stay out of the creeks!) But seriously, I don't think it's a problem. I've never run into one in my 36 years in the triangle. I have heard of people's dogs getting bitten though.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:35 PM

842 posts, read 3,225,645 times
I've seen lots of snakes around my house (worm snakes, brown water snakes, smooth green snakes, etc...). But I've never seen any copperheads yet (cross my fingers).

Snakes don't worry me. I'm more worried about fire ants and coyotes :-)

Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,677,526 times
Whoever gave me a bad rep point for posting. Read the post..it says they are around , it does not say they are quote "everywhere". And next time sign your name I will be glad to discuss it further with you, As you have not a clue where this original poster is looking specifically and her backyard may be an acre not .10, so yes she would have to be aware of snakes.
So please do not say I am misleading. After she reads all the posts they can make up their own minds.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:11 PM

156 posts, read 919,431 times
I was afraid of the snakes too..Glad they are not all over.. What really freaked me out, was when staying with family over in Wilmington.. The flying frogs.. EEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKK.... They really freaked me out.. Hope they are only on the coast and stay away from Raleigh..

Old 04-19-2007, 02:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
ROFL! I've never seen any flying frogs around here either!!! Too funny! We have had a significant racoon problem in our yard in the past, and those things scare me worse than snakes!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 PM

156 posts, read 919,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
ROFL! I've never seen any flying frogs around here either!!! Too funny! We have had a significant racoon problem in our yard in the past, and those things scare me worse than snakes!
Awww. the cute racoons... I swear, I saw many flying frogs in Wilmington.. They stuck to the house, trees, screens.. I was trembling and itchy.. lol..
I was so afraid they would fly in my hair.. lol...

Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 PM

607 posts, read 2,427,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
Awww. the cute racoons... I swear, I saw many flying frogs in Wilmington.. They stuck to the house, trees, screens.. I was trembling and itchy.. lol..
I was so afraid they would fly in my hair.. lol...
You guys are joking, correct?? I have never heard of a flying frog, and I feel stupid just writing "flying frog". If I ever saw a flying frog sticking on buildings, I think I truly would buy the "popemobile" from the vatican and drive in it everywhere I went. That just freaks me out.
Okay, it was funny, but now tell me you were kidding......

Old 04-19-2007, 02:57 PM

633 posts, read 2,537,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I've seen lots of snakes around my house (worm snakes, brown water snakes, smooth green snakes, etc...). But I've never seen any copperheads yet (cross my fingers).

Snakes don't worry me. I'm more worried about fire ants and coyotes :-)
much more worried about fire ants than snakes. Are the fire ants pretty relevant? I'm less scared if I'm more knowledgeable and prepared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary