Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times

Advertisements

Hey Lamishra...don't forget to tell 'em about those flying bugs that have lights! Radiation! Don't let 'em fly into your hands!!!

Just kidding.

And people tell ME that I'M gullible!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 10:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I hope I didn't offend anyone (those flying things really are radioactive! ;-)).
But I actually know where the natural worry comes from. I went to India with my husband and was paranoid the whole time about microscopic organisms that I wasn't familiar with, weird things in the ocean I knew nothing about and geez...you want to talk about SNAKES??? Go to INDIA! I really can relate to being worried about the things we're not familiar with and how we'll cope. I was just teasing you all, I hope no harm was done from my end :-).
(Although I was serious about the critters)

Old 04-20-2007, 05:50 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Snakes really would rather get away from you than bite you. I've seen many in Florida and in fact had a pygmy rattlesnake in my backyard twice. That truly freaked me out as I didn't even KNOW we had rattlesnakes in Florida until that thing rattled at me. The second time I came upon it suddenly and startled it, and it jumped up what seemed like a foot in the air and took off.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM

156 posts, read 920,351 times
The frogs I saw may be these.. Except they looked greener and were smaller.. I don't know, but I just heard from a friend, they are starting to peep about now...

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/frogs/peep.htm (broken link)

Old 04-20-2007, 09:28 AM

110 posts, read 438,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Most of the lake beaches are very safe and pest free. It's only off the beaten path that you might encounter a snake. They are wild animals, they don't like being around popular places like the recreation areas in the lakes.

Have y'all heard about the sharks at our beaches yet??? :-)

OK, I swear, I'm just kidding. It's just odd to me to even give a second thought about these animals as a native. We go camping in the mountains knowing there are black bears, at the lakes knowing there are snakes, at Carolina Beach State park with the gators, in the ocean knowing there are sharks, but I've never really worried about the wildlife that much. Typically they have no interest in us. They do their own thing and don't just "attack" people. Chances are you may never encounter any of them while living here. For those of you relocating here, don't you all have some natural, scary beasts living amongst you that you don't even really pay attention to?

I can do without the spiders though. ugh.
In Florida We have the BIGGEST cockraches you've ever seen

Old 04-20-2007, 09:33 AM

Yeah, I've actually heard about those wild, meat eating, mutant cockroaches you guys cultivate down there :-D!!!!!!!

I'm not afraid of the big bad wolf!!! (but a spider or cockroach or will have me screaming like a little girl!)

Old 04-20-2007, 09:36 AM

110 posts, read 438,761 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've actually heard about those wild, meat eating, mutant cockroaches you guys cultivate down there :-D!!!!!!!

I'm not afraid of the big bad wolf!!! (but a spider or cockroach or will have me screaming like a little girl!)

I'm the same way. The snakes do have me freaked out a little bit though.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 AM

156 posts, read 920,351 times
Quote:

I'm with you!!! Yuck!!! Are there really gator's in Carolina beach?? In the ocean? I have never heard of that...I just swam in Writesville beach last year.. Eeeekkkkkk..

Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Not in the ocean, but in the Cape fear River

Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM

http://149.168.1.196/nrid/getDataPub.php?pid=3735
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary