Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:40 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

So, is that your whole array or are you doing it on two separate areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, is that your whole array or are you doing it on two separate areas.
That's about 1/3 of it. The rest goes on the rear roof. Pics tomorrow.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 PM

33 posts, read 59,704 times
You've really done a fantastic job detailing the project. Thanks for doing this! I've been looking into PVs for awhile and this is really helpful. One thing I am looking forward to seeing is how the actual production matches up with the estimation. To me that's seems like the biggest variable and it can move the payback date forward or backward. Of course, I think it would take months or a year of recording the numbers to get a good projection. I noticed a lot of trees around your house. Is shade a factor at all?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
How steep is the area of the roof where the panels are being installed? Are they being installed parallel to the roof surface or are they canted more/less?

Nice to see the installers using the safety gear while working on roofs!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs2004 View Post
You've really done a fantastic job detailing the project. Thanks for doing this! I've been looking into PVs for awhile and this is really helpful. One thing I am looking forward to seeing is how the actual production matches up with the estimation. To me that's seems like the biggest variable and it can move the payback date forward or backward. Of course, I think it would take months or a year of recording the numbers to get a good projection. I noticed a lot of trees around your house. Is shade a factor at all?
We do have a ton of trees, but none really much taller than the house. The majority of our hardwoods and old growth trees are on the "3rd level" of our backyard which is a good 20-30 feet below the front/street grade, and they are positioned about 100-125 feet behind the house, so the angle to the sun even in early morning is quite good. We do have a cluster of trees closer to the house but they're on the other side and don't affect the sun much on the panel side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
How steep is the area of the roof where the panels are being installed? Are they being installed parallel to the roof surface or are they canted more/less?

Nice to see the installers using the safety gear while working on roofs!
I believe they told me that the one from the pics above is 14/12 and the rear section (pics coming today) is 12/12. He said it was "sketchy" getting those panels on that really steep section and that, to the eye and brain, it feels almost vertical when standing on the roof. I've never been up there and don't plan to, so I can't comment. They are being installed roughly parallel to the roof itself but there maybe an angle to them - good question that I'll have to ask today.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Doesn't look like any angle there to me, unless they jack the tops up after the pictures shown.

That's a pretty steep roof, kind of like mine, which is 16/12. The builder actually put in 2 tie off points built into the roof and tied to rafters on every house when it was built initially. They are flashed in and have a cap to cover them. Watching the guys swing from the lines while doing the roof on the house behind me was pretty crazy. I doubt I'm ever going up there. Even the satellite guy was like no way. (luckily we have a small laundry room extension with a more normal pitch, which is where our dish is)

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Doesn't look like any angle there to me, unless they jack the tops up after the pictures shown.
From the pics I posted, there doesn't seem to be any angle, but when I walked to a different viewing position, it looked like there just might be. I'll be finding out more today and reporting back.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Just asked - they don't angle them at all. There is a substantial extra cost involved with doing so, due to the engineering requirements, calculations, and structural issues (wind load, snow load, etc) versus the small benefit gained by doing so, so they stick with the roof pitch so long as it's close enough to ideal (35-40 degrees).

Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM

57 posts, read 145,952 times
Excellent description RDUBiker! This is very helpful.

Couple of questions for you:
[1] What exactly is "Revenue from SREC Sale"?
[2] "Net Revenue from Utility" for year 1 is $519. How do you get positive revenue from this if the Solar PV provides 25% to 65% of the energy needs? I guess I am failing to understand how this number is generating positive revenue. Please educate my dumb brain. :-)

Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobdrob View Post
Excellent description RDUBiker! This is very helpful.

Couple of questions for you:
[1] What exactly is "Revenue from SREC Sale"?
[2] "Net Revenue from Utility" for year 1 is $519. How do you get positive revenue from this if the Solar PV provides 25% to 65% of the energy needs? I guess I am failing to understand how this number is generating positive revenue. Please educate my dumb brain. :-)
I think I know the answers to this but I sent them off to the solar guy to be sure I explain it correctly the first time on a public board.

Here are some final photos of the installation:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary