Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I think Virgin is a great way to go - plans are basically half cost.
My wife wouldn't leave mine alone so I went over to Target and bought her one. I hope the whole thing works out good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
3G vs 4G is marketing - I wouldn't put too much stock in how the service is being advertised.
While there is a lot of marketing/hype on 4G, if you do get in a spot where you get true 4G service, the speed difference can be impressive.

What is truly marketing hype is the swirling frenzy on the new iPhone. There are only rumors about what it will have, but everyone wants one.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Must be costing you a pretty penny because Verizon is the most expensive carrier of them all, and they don't seem to care that they are either ... they are very cocky that way.
Four phones on family share plan. Corporate employee discount of 22%. Unlimited data (grandfathered (for now)). ~$190/mo.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM

645 posts, read 988,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
What is the data usage allowance? I like the idea of no contract, and my term with Verizon will be up soon. I have had no problems with Verizon, just the cost......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Just bought a 4S from Target...through Virgin Mobile. No contract, 300 minutes a month...30 bucks a month. No problems so far...me like

If I'm not mistaken, Virgin uses Sprint network. If so, my guess is that data/messaging is unlimited. You pay full price for the phone, tho...which may not be a bad tradeoff, all things considered.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I have Sprint, with the Galaxy S3, and phone and data coverage are currently hardly acceptable for me.
I blame some of the phone issues on a weaker radio. My EVO almost never dropped calls, but now I routinely drop calls on Cary Parkway @ Evans, Thorpe, Lake Pine, Twin Creeks. Also on 440 between Lake Boone and 6 Forks.

Data...
Yes, Sprint is upgrading to 4G LTE, over the next 6 or 7 months. And my phone does not have 4G capability otherwise. But the 3G signal is hard to find, too.
It is common for me to pull into the driveway and get 2 or 3 emails as soon as the phone finds my router.

If I didn't use the phone more on WiFi than I do for wireless data, I would have taken it back. As it is, the monthly bill is significantly less than it would be with VZN or ATT, and I am biding my time waiting for LTE and upgraded 3G.
I will still have the same radio, though.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM

645 posts, read 988,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have Sprint, with the Galaxy S3, and phone and data coverage are currently hardly acceptable for me.
I blame some of the phone issues on a weaker radio. My EVO almost never dropped calls, but now I routinely drop calls on Cary Parkway @ Evans, Thorpe, Lake Pine, Twin Creeks. Also on 440 between Lake Boone and 6 Forks.

Data...
Yes, Sprint is upgrading to 4G LTE, over the next 6 or 7 months. And my phone does not have 4G capability otherwise. But the 3G signal is hard to find, too.
It is common for me to pull into the driveway and get 2 or 3 emails as soon as the phone finds my router.

If I didn't use the phone more on WiFi than I do for wireless data, I would have taken it back. As it is, the monthly bill is significantly less than it would be with VZN or ATT, and I am biding my time waiting for LTE and upgraded 3G.
Thanks Mike for this info. Had my eye on GSIII on Sprint - but now I think I'm leaning towards the EVO. Did you have the EVO 4GLTE?

Used Sprint in Seattle before we moved here - It was great out West. Switched to Verizon here...but like others have posted, costs are high. Considering moving back to Sprint. Hopefully, won't have the dropped call issue in N Raleigh.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Thanks Mike for this info. Had my eye on GSIII on Sprint - but now I think I'm leaning towards the EVO. Did you have the EVO 4GLTE?

Used Sprint in Seattle before we moved here - It was great out West. Switched to Verizon here...but like others have posted, costs are high. Considering moving back to Sprint. Hopefully, won't have the dropped call issue in N Raleigh.
No, I had the original EVO 4G. It was just showing some age, a refurb that replaced my original unit.
But, in some ways, I liked Android 2.3/Sense better than ICS/TouchWiz. Now I have to click several times for functions I could do in one or two clicks.

Here is a CD thread discussing the S3 or EVO 4G LTE:
//www.city-data.com/forum/cell-...tc-evo-4g.html

Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 AM

82 posts, read 176,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Virgin uses Sprint network...
Virgin Mobile is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sprint, so they do use the same network in the USA, but one HUGE word of warning for anyone thinking of switching to Virgin. Even though the phones are technologically the same - the main difference between a Sprint phone and a Virgin phone is once you are outside of the Sprint network, a Sprint phone will roam onto other compatible carriers such as Verizon, but a Virgin Mobile phone will NOT, due to the lacking of a roaming agreement. Make sure you check the Virgin coverage maps before you sign up!

I been using the iPhone models on AT&T since day 1 and have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and if I am forced off of that unlimited plan with the move to 4G, then I have the same decision to make. Do I stay on AT&T or switch to another carrier such as Verizon or Sprint.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Data...

My iPhone 4s on AT&T holds a signal fine in all the areas you mentioned but Lake Pine at Cary Parkway. It's dicey there. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

I also like being able to use data while making a call so I'm sticking with AT&T when I upgrade again this year.

I've had AT&T for about 13 years now (formerly BellSouth Mobility, the Cingular). I've had each new model of iPhone since the original in 2007.

Never had any problems with service that made me feel a need to switch.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
I've talked positive about Sprint here until the iPhone release on their network. I have to say that I am rarely able to use the unlimited data plan because I rarely have decent enough signal to do a single Facebook picture upload. I have zero signal around Glenwood ave, in Durham, and around north hills I get on and off signal. Pretty much everywhere I need signal I don't have it or is intermittent.

I plan on going to Verizon once our contract is up on the kids iPhones.
Same experience. Ever since they put the iPhone on their network the service has been crap. Debating whether to resign my contract when it comes up next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary