Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 04:06 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Who would accept the job now, with job tenure dependent on school board elections, rather than skill or effort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:07 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I.Told.You.So. I told you the Democrat majority was going to bide their time to destroy the progress of the previous board and attempt to re-enact the failed policies of the past. First they decided to sabotage the assignment plan after they promised to follow it, and now they fire Tata. I hope those of you that voted for the new board are happy with the chaos. So much for the new board majority being "for the children".

Exactly right. Finally the school system was making headway from the failed policies previously in place but the libs weren't getting their way so a change had to be made. It truly is unfortunate for the children. However, the kids better get used to it as it'll only get worse based on the direction this country is heading.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Who would accept the job now, with job tenure dependent on school board elections, rather than skill or effort?
That's the $250,000 question that no one seems to have an answer to.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:16 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Nobody in their right mind would -- or, someone who is at best a C- candidate. Wake County is going to have a well-deserved dysfunctional reputation in education circles. If I were looking for a Superintendent gig, it's likely that I would pass over the Wake County circus.

As I told my kids today, "This is what happens when adults run things -- they're idiots."

Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM

315 posts, read 767,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think it's appalling that the school board runs along party lines. I've never heard of such a thing, it's ludicrous.

Thank you for saying that. I've been following along with the posts and this, well, lets just call it a scandal, and I've been wondering if I've been asleep for the last 10 years that I've had kids in school. All this talk about Dems and Reps while talking about a school board, is completely foreign to me! Why is the Wake County school board filled with so much politics? If the majority on the board right now are Dems, was there any real chance of the mans job being saved? Whatever happened to a citizen run school board that was about families and education? We teach our children not to bully, but that man was bullied right out of a job! What an example to set.

Wow, my head is spinning and I don't even live there yet!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
No, not expecting that at all. I think everyone on that board (even the ones I don't care for) all want a stable functional school system with a superintendent who is the best fit. Tata was not it.
What is it about Tata that makes him a bad fit?

As an aside -- it's like nails on a chalkboard to me when I hear Tedesco's voice, but I have to agree when he said that the board (all of them, including himself) is to blame for the problems here. There really needs to be a mechanism in place to fire them all. I know they're elected, so they get "fired" when they don't get re-elected. But Tata had a contract and he was bought out of it. So how do we go about buying out the entire board and starting over?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM

351 posts, read 770,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
No, not expecting that at all. I think everyone on that board (even the ones I don't care for) all want a stable functional school system with a superintendent who is the best fit. Tata was not it.
I wasn't going to ask, but you got me.

Those who didn't like the Republican majority saw AdvancEd as their saving grace and were all smiles when they released their initial "scathing" report.

AdvancEd then released a follow-up report after the Dems won the majority in 2011 in which they praised Tata multiple times, including:

- "...the Board has begun moving in the right direction with the Superintendent being a stabilizing force."

- "A common theme during interviews was the significance of the Superintendents’ influence on the direction of the system in providing governance and leadership focused on student learning and system effectiveness."

- "Described as a “calmer” Board, stakeholders attributed this change unequivocally to the Superintendent’s leadership."

- "This change (to the Student Assignment Plan) was more widely accepted because of the Superintendent’s focus on “student achievement.” "

If someone described as this is not a good fit, then what do you believe it would take?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 PM

237 posts, read 757,188 times
Just one more reason for private schools here.
Good luck Mr.Tata.... I believe you are better off.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:53 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Wake County needs to pass a big bond issue to produce some school buildings. Soon.

Board dysfunction is a kick in the gut to that happening.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,230 times
But the word I heard, and the reason for what we are seeing today I think, is that Tata fed that dysfunction, rather than working to ameliorate it. On the other hand, even given this, not sure that throwing that position up in the air is the best thing either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary