Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They should put a limit on how far they'll transport kids. You want your child to bypass two elementary schools to get to another one? Fine - you take him/her yourself.
But then "choice" becomes limited to those who have the time and resources to provide their own transportation. If choice is only for some, why offer it at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM

387 posts, read 636,695 times
As the parent of a High School freshman, I'm actually somewhat exasperated by all the "let them walk" comments. If you think it's tough figuring out elementary school transportation, try when they get to high school. I live in Cary, in an older section of town, and it's 3 miles to Cary High, 7.5 to Panther Creek, and 8 to Green Hope. We moved this summer to our current home in part to be closer to the school. Had we remained at our old home, near Yates Mill Pond Rd. and Olde South Rd., it would be 5 miles to Athens Drive High, 5.5 miles to Cary High, and 6 to Middle Creek. Since high schools are more spread out, I imagine it's similar for most others. Considering the 7:25 start time, biking isn't a good option because of the number of commuters in cars at that time of day; too many potential risks for injury. I'd be able to drive her in to school, but picking up would be impossible because I'm at work. Surprisingly enough, walking is probably a better option for elementary school students (who likely don't live as far from their schools) than it is for high school freshmen and sophomores, most of whom can't drive themselves. I've been pretty quiet about this, because we've been lucky enough and haven't had any bus issues. But if WCPSS were to decide to eliminate bussing entirely, whatever replaces it would be likely be worse for these young high schoolers.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,959 times
I haven't seen anyone earnestly suggest kids that live 5+ miles from their school walk or bike. But I think it's entirely reasonably for kids less than 2 miles from school to do so, especially older children.

Last edited by evaofnc; 08-30-2012 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: x

Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
N.C. Constitution Article I, section 15:

Quote:
The people have a right to the privilege of education, and it is the duty of the State to guard and maintain that right.
Under the state constitution, and cases like Leandro, ("Article IX, Section 2(1) of the North Carolina Constitution requires that all children have the opportunity for a sound basic education"), I wonder if a school system could really abandon providing transportation.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,068,100 times
We live 2 miles from Cary High and I do not like for my daughter to walk there. Its dangerous trying to dodge distracted, groggy teenage drivers on Walnut Street (at dark o clock most mornings) and watch for parents who do NOT follow the carpool rules (such as trying to turn left onto Walnut St when it clearly says "no left turn", speeding to try to get in front of buses and all kinds of other dangerous behaviors). I have seen parents literally stop in the middle of Walnut Street and unload a carful of kids! There are some mornings when I am glad I make it out of there safely in my CAR! Walking to elementary school was much, much safer!

Last edited by lamishra; 08-30-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 PM

554 posts, read 1,152,171 times
I just received an automated message from our school principal about the transportation issues. Apparently next week, starting Tuesday, there will be more busses added to reduce (hopefully eliminate?) the problems surrounding late arrivals and departures. Hopefully this is true for Wake County entirely and not just our school (Salem E)

Old 08-30-2012, 01:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
N.C. Constitution Article I, section 15:

Under the state constitution, and cases like Leandro, ("Article IX, Section 2(1) of the North Carolina Constitution requires that all children have the opportunity for a sound basic education"), I wonder if a school system could really abandon providing transportation.
Yes, they could. There is no state law requiring bus transportation in NC. It's up to each school district in the state to provide transportation. However, if they DO provide transportation, they must provide it everyone living withing a 1.5 mile radius. We are very fortunate we live in a state where every district in the state provides transportation for free (obviously it's paid for through taxes but there is no additional fee for it). There are other districts in the country that provide no busing at all or charge for it.

Last edited by lamishra; 08-30-2012 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I haven't seen anyone earnestly suggest kids that live 5+ miles from their school walk or bike. But I think it's entirely reasonably for kids less than 2 miles from school to do so, especially older children.
I'm less than two miles from Green Hope and I really can't imagine anyone walking up Carpenter Upchurch Road. There are kids who go there who are even closer than me with the same problem. It would actually be a really pleasant walk, (except for having to leave at 6:30 a.m. to make the trek) if there was SOMEWHERE to walk.

Keep in mind the sun doesn't come up till 6:50 a.m. In the winter it doesn't come up till almost 7:30; most of the high schools start at 7:20.

Walking is great, but let's think the whole thing through, it's not always just about the distance.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
But then "choice" becomes limited to those who have the time and resources to provide their own transportation. If choice is only for some, why offer it at all?
As I've noted, most of them are now driving their kids anyway, because the alternative is putting their kids on the bus anywhere from 5:45 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. and then enduring an hour ride on an overcrowded bus. I'm sure once most people realized their 5 year old would be on a bus with a bunch of middle schoolers who they did not know from their neighborhood (which, it should be noted, was NOT the plan at the time people had to make their choice, nor was the school time set till after the choice window closed) they decided to drive them. Carpool is INSANE at the schools, and I'm pretty sure it's not that all the families that nearby and have been going for years suddenly decided to start driving their kids.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Keep in mind the sun doesn't come up till 6:50 a.m. In the winter it doesn't come up till almost 7:30; most of the high schools start at 7:20.
Interesting. I didn't know that about Wake County start times. In Chapel Hill the high schools start later (8:45) and the elementary schools start early (7:50). It was all 8:30 when I was growing up in NC, but I'm not a morning person so the later the better for me and mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary