Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 PM

42 posts, read 46,435 times

Advertisements

Busted...you will get a picture in the mail with a video url to watch your car speeding down the highway and the camera took a zoom video of your tags...yep there you go..a nice letter in the mail with a toll fee attached...pay by or else..been there done that...problem I was looking for the toll booth and there was not one..it was a pass only area..I said..suckers..as I exited thinking it was a free ride..nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,375,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Hmm, so I guess there's no consensus whether or not one transponder will work on multiple vehicles without penalty.
On the NC QuickPass Website FAQ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC QuickPass Website
"Do I need to register all my vehicles?"

Yes. You should provide NC Quick Pass with details of all vehicles that you will use with your NC Quick Pass account. Vehicles that are not registered to the account that travel on the NC toll roads may be charged the Bill by Mail rate, a higher toll rate.
However, apparently you can have more than one vehicle on an account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC QuickPass Website
"Can I have more than one vehicle on an account?" and the answer is:

Yes. Accounts can have multiple vehicles. The number of vehicles depends on the type of account, personal (limit of 5) or business (unlimited). You should provide NC Quick Pass with details of all vehicles that you will use with your NC Quick Pass account. Each vehicle requires its own transponder.
I think the key there is the last part - you can put all your cars on one account, but they each need to have a transponder.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,132,203 times
Of course they want you to buy a transponder for each car rather than sharing. You can't convince me those things cost anywhere near $20 to make.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,126,103 times
Is anyone even using the toll road regularly? I've been nearby it at rush hour on several afternoons and never saw more than a handful of cars on it at a time.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,375,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Is anyone even using the toll road regularly? I've been nearby it at rush hour on several afternoons and never saw more than a handful of cars on it at a time.
As I live in N. Raleigh and work to the west, I don't have a day-to-day reason to, but I do have a quickpass. My parents and a few friends live down that way so I use it whenever I'm headed there because it's the easiest and quickest way. I wouldn't be opposed to using a toll road if it was on my way to more things though.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 13 days ago)

43,151 posts, read 76,719,434 times
When 540 opens up to 55 on the south side of Apex, you will see an impact on usage.
Using it to bypass the Williams Street bottleneck will appeal to a lot of commuters.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,880,256 times
It's not unlike I-540 (Northern Wake Expressway). When I first moved to Raleigh, the I-40 to Glenwood Ave. section was relatively new and that was all there was of 540. It was always practically deserted. As the highway moved around north Raleigh section by section, traffic grew heavier and heavier.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,826,510 times
I've been using the toll road about once a week since it opened. It's nice when I want to get where I'm going quickly.

The reason it's so empty right now, and the sad, perhaps shocking truth is that this toll road wasn't really built to handle any of the trips that people are making today. If it's convenient for some people then great, but that's not the real purpose.

The real reason is this: Everything clear from RTP to Fuquay-Varina, to the Chatham County border and beyond, will be a giant conglomeration of suburban development within most of our lifetimes. This toll road was built first and foremost to enable all this sprawling development to happen, and second, to handle the traffic that this development will generate.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM

9,347 posts, read 13,980,872 times
Does anyone know how much it will cost to ride the entire 18 miles of TriEx 540 when it is finished?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 13 days ago)

43,151 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
I've been using the toll road about once a week since it opened. It's nice when I want to get where I'm going quickly.

The reason it's so empty right now, and the sad, perhaps shocking truth is that this toll road wasn't really built to handle any of the trips that people are making today. If it's convenient for some people then great, but that's not the real purpose.

The real reason is this: Everything clear from RTP to Fuquay-Varina, to the Chatham County border and beyond, will be a giant conglomeration of suburban development within most of our lifetimes. This toll road was built first and foremost to enable all this sprawling development to happen, and second, to handle the traffic that this development will generate.
You know, planners just cannot win.
If they allow development prior to infrastructure, brainiacs moan and groan about poor planning.
If they install infrastructure first, then it is all about mindless sprawl...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary