U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,618,399 times

Advertisements

ESPN - Wrongly accused Duke lax players sue city, ex-DA - College Sports

Now I understand them wanting to be compensated for having their names splashed all over the news as rapists and other issues but isn't taking 30 million from the city of Durham and the police department going to make it harder for them (the city of Durham) to improve upon the issues that got them there as well as the city itself, schools etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:08 PM

560 posts, read 2,779,297 times
Yes, but sometimes the only way to teach someone or some entity a lesson is to hit 'em hard where it hurts the most! They deserve every penny IMHO.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 PM

282 posts, read 810,069 times
...never mind the rest of the team AND the coach (team was suspended and coach was fired as I recall). I can't believe Duke didn't get sued for jumping the gun like that - no due process, presuming guilt, etc....and LONG before even Nifong went ahead with his crazy crusade.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,364,064 times
Duke settled. The voters in Durham elected Nifong even after it was pretty clear there was no case. They get what they deserve.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,618,399 times
Personally I would ask for 25% of what they are asking for and a national face to face apology from all of the people who went on television and bad mouthed me (Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, The local NAACP people, the accuser, The Police Department, Nifong (AGAIN). Even with 10 million each (more like 6 after their lawyers take the rest) they are still going to be the Duke lax players accused of rape who never got an apology and got "greedy" after the fact (IMHO)

Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,364,064 times
I'm sure Al Sharpton will apologize...right after he apologizes for the Tawana Brawley incident.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:55 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,728,233 times
Darryl Hunt was wrongfully convicted of rape, spent 20 years in prison, and got 2 million for his trouble. These kids got railroaded with the charges, but never spent a day in jail, nor even went to trial. They faired much better under the system than most. The guy who railroaded them is gone. I can see recovering their legal expenses, but have a hard time justifying them getting much beyond that.

Perhaps I'm biased by the reputation of the lacrosse players from before the rape allegations. That had alot to do with how the case was handled by Duke. I actually thought the administration did OK by the lacrosse team.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 10,711,790 times
I will admit that, after lawyers fees, a final payment of 6 million per player sounds fairly cheap when you consider the enormous amount of national publicity this case got.
But.
When you break that cost down amongst the population of the city of Durham, it means that each Durham resident has to pay about $142 for this fiasco.
newsobserver.com | Ex-players seek $30 million settlement (http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/696594.html - broken link)
As a resident of Durham, I obviously am not happy about that.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,405,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I will admit that, after lawyers fees, a final payment of 6 million per player sounds fairly cheap when you consider the enormous amount of national publicity this case got.
But.
When you break that cost down amongst the population of the city of Durham, it means that each Durham resident has to pay about $142 for this fiasco.
newsobserver.com | Ex-players seek $30 million settlement (http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/696594.html - broken link)
As a resident of Durham, I obviously am not happy about that.
So my family of 4 has to pay $568 for something that happened before we moved here. I'm not pleased about that. Now if the the Lacrosse Players want to say that 1/2 of the money goes to somehow help The City of Durham, Duke, or a Charity of their choosing... then I won't be as ticked off.

So whose fault is it that this case received so much national publicity? Nifongs? City of Durham? Bottom Feeding Journalist and Sensationalist "News" Stations? If so then they ALL should be included in the law suit.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 PM

997 posts, read 4,499,897 times
I do feel bad for the boys. I don't know what he is doing now but I remeber when this all happened that David Evans lost a nice job on Wall Steet. They company rescinded their offer. That is a shame.

I wonder if these boys hadn't come from money, and their parents didn't have the means to hire the best attorneys if the outcome would have been the same. It's also sad that Kirk Osborne (one of the attorneys) didn't live long enough to see the charges dropped for his client.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary