Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times

Advertisements

As much as I like State (NCSU), I think that they are a little too cosy with business for the good of their students. Something about the difference between education for the long term versus training for the short. This, presumably, is one difference between a university and a tech school. Sometimes it seems that State is mainly in the business of advancing the institutional interests of State, whereas some of the other schools mentioned above are at least a little more attuned to advancing the interests of their students.

More generally, needs come and go, businesses come and go, whole industries come and go, sometimes with fairly short cycles. For example, I can envision somebody from IBM advising State on whatever skills IBM claims to need at the moment, all the while planning to send the jobs supposedly requiring these skills to India, China, or Brazil as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 09-07-2012 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon10 View Post
If you want to leave the state or advance at a big international corporation in the state, the big schools are worth the money.
+1

If you want a new job or a new career, then enroll in the highest ranked program that you can afford and that will admit you.

If you want to move upwards in your current job, then enroll in the most convenient program.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
As much as I like State (NCSU), I think that they are a little too cosy with business for the good of their students.
Since this is about MBA programs, I would think being "cozy with business" would be a very good thing!

Quote:
Something about the difference between education for the long term versus training for the short. This, presumably, is one difference between a university and a tech school. Sometimes it seems that State is mainly in the business of advancing the institutional interests of State,

I don't think you can generalize like that about any university--more precisely, I think you can find instances in every university that could fit that generalization. Right now, with education being cut, grants down, and a dismal job market facing students, there is a lot more of "we will train you to get a job" than in "we will hel you advance your mind and be an educated citizen" because the students are being told from every direction to avoid the more "soft" programs that, when you get down to it, are one of the features differentiating a "university from a tech school".
Quote:
whereas some of the other schools mentioned above are at least a little more attuned to advancing the interests of their students.
My point is that right now, this IS in the interests of their students, because the students don't want to be unemployed Liberal Arts majors when they graduate (says he who spent several years as an underemployed Liberal Arts major, back in the day).

Quote:
More generally, needs come and go, businesses come and go, whole industries come and go, sometimes with fairly short cycles. For example, I can envision somebody from IBM advising State on whatever skills IBM claims to need at the moment, all the while planning to send the jobs supposedly requiring these skills to India, China, or Brazil as quickly as possible.
I would strongly suspect that this kind of thing (listening to corporate "advice") is true of almost any Business School/MBA program right now. Funding has to come from somewhere, and if businesses are sponsoring classes or programs, the universities in many cases will be happy to take the money. But again, universities are going to tell their students what skills they believe will get them employed (whether misguided or not), and that's not by any means specific to NCSU.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Executive MBA at UNC
$74,300 for Evening -Includes tuition, texts, socials and immersion weekend accommodations
$91,225 for Weekend MBA -Includes tuition, texts, socials, overnight accommodations and most meals
I hope they include a guaranteed job that will pay off that student loan bill at the end of it all for that price tag.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
ncstate has an mba program? anyway op is your employer paying for anything? if they are you have a lot more options. if not i agree you need to shoot for the best program you can get into.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Yep and NCSU has billboards for the MBA program all over I-40 around the Greensboro area.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Since this is about MBA programs, I would think being "cozy with business" would be a very good thing!

My point is that right now, this IS in the interests of their students, because the students don't want to be unemployed Liberal Arts majors when they graduate (says he who spent several years as an underemployed Liberal Arts major, back in the day).

I would strongly suspect that this kind of thing (listening to corporate "advice") is true of almost any Business School/MBA program right now. Funding has to come from somewhere, and if businesses are sponsoring classes or programs, the universities in many cases will be happy to take the money. But again, universities are going to tell their students what skills they believe will get them employed (whether misguided or not), and that's not by any means specific to NCSU.
Francois, based on my own experience over the course of a forty-year career which included a faculty stint and saw a lot of short-term thinking, I believe that you are exactly wrong. But only time will tell . . .

Edit -- as you likely know, this area is saturated with MBA programs, which was undoubtedly taken into account when State sought permission to initiate its relatively new offering. I am guessing (and I have no inside information) that State needed to distinguish its proposed program from those already extant at UNC and Duke. As a result, the approach that State has come up with is geeky, and requires a mildly geeky background to enter. It was an outgrowth of State's uniquely geeky MSM. But geeks don't need more geekery in an MBA; rather, they need a broader base of study such as that offered by UNC or Duke. Ah, but there's the rub -- no duplication. Again, this is just my speculation, as I have no inside information. But to see what a corporate takeover of a university looks like, have a tour of Centennial Campus.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 09-07-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 12:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Yep and NCSU has billboards for the MBA program all over I-40 around the Greensboro area.

I saw some for another school with an MBA program as well right before the NCSU one.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:24 PM

83 posts, read 207,885 times
An MBA can help your career. It helped mine. But different programs have different strengths. For instance, some MBA programs are especially known for their Finance track or for their Marketing track, etc. I'd do some research before getting serious. An MBA program should work well with your own experience. Just getting an MBA from a "good" school may or may not help.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
The N&O has an article today on MBAs in general, and local programs in particular, that may be of interest to those considering an MBA program.

MBA applications dip as confidence in job market wanes - Local/State - NewsObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary