U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 PM

8 posts, read 10,998 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry if much of this has been asked before, but we are busy parents of a baby, and unfortunately we do not have much time to read through all of the threads.

My husband and I are planning a visit to Raleigh to determine if he should launch a job search in the area. He works in Information Technology and has experience in an educational environment. The presence of so many universities in Raleigh is appealing to us. We are currently living on Long Island, and like so many, we are extremely frustrated with the cost of living, our long commutes, and not spending as much time with our daughter as we would like. Life is short and we would like to enjoy it more. I won't bore you with all the reasons we think Raleigh could be right for us. If you live there, you know all it has to offer.

We would plan to rent at first and then buy, but we are looking for advice on neighborhoods to look at while visiting.

-Our price range is $300,000 or lower as I would like to be a stay at home mom if possible
-A 3 bedroom/2 bath home is fine for us. We don't really need a big house. We do like houses with nice details though. Craftsman style, cottage style, bungalows, etc., are all great.
-We do not have to have a large yard, however I would like room to plant a small vegetable garden.
-A walkable neighborhood would be great; and if those are out of our price range, we could also be very happy in a nice neighborhood with parks and a pool, places where we can meet other neighbors
-Solid schools. We prefer a school that gives the kids a summer vacation.
-A nice place to bike for a few miles would be great. Also, we would like to kayak more as our kids get older, so proximity to a lake would be nice.

Also, I would like to be a stay at home mom, but if that is not possible, what is a typical cost for day care for a toddler and an infant? (Here it is at least $2,500 a month for both, and we do not want the costs to dictate our family size. We would rather leave Long Island and have the family we want.)

I realize so much of this is hypothetical as we would not know the location of my husband's job and that leaves a huge area to cover and consider, but thanks so much for your help. We are eager to make the most of our visit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 04:38 PM

I forgot to mention I have looked through many of the photos on the photo thread, and Falls River looked very pretty. I liked the homes and the parks in the neighborhood. Also, some of the neighborhoods downtown looked great, but if I remember correctly, the homes seemed out of our budget based on what other posters said. Times have changed though, and maybe they would be in our budget now. Many of the threads are older.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM

6,246 posts, read 15,081,463 times
There aren't as many of these types of homes here in Raleigh as there are in cities up North: Craftsman style, cottage style, bungalows. (I lived in a Craftsman bungalow in NY state, and I loved it.)

You may find them "inside the Beltline" aka I-440 that circles the city. But they generally bring premium prices.

You'll find a far greater number of standard homes, especially in North Raleigh, that have been built within the past 20 - 30 years or so in your price range.

You'll need to read up on schools here on City-Data and at the school website at wcpss.net. (Wake County Public School System...which includes surrounding small towns.) Key words for you will be: "year-round schools" (there are many) and "reassignment plan."

You may also want to visit Cary, which is right next door to Raleigh. It is in the same school district.

Good luck!

P.S. Falls River is nice.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Thank you for this information lovebrentwood. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:22 PM

23,136 posts, read 12,415,217 times
there are a very wide variety of places you could (eventually) purchase a home. You won't most likely be buying ITB (unless you want < 1300 sqft and maybe a 2nd bath, maybe not), so I'd just go ahead and rule that out.

Think of Raleigh as a clock face. You will be able to find a nice neighborhood and a nice home anywhere between 7 o'clock and 1 o'clock - and where in there you decide to eventually move will depend on where your husband's job eventually is. If it's in RTP, you'll prefer NW Raleigh or Cary (7 to 10). If it's downtown Raleigh, you may very well prefer North Raleigh (10 to 1). Regardless, your commute each way should definitely be under an hour, if not usually less than 30 minutes.

i will add that homes between $250K and 300K are generally selling pretty quickly now - less than 3 weeks for the better ones. You can expect to pay between $110-135 per square foot to get you started thinking about where and what you'll get.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-16-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary