Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Sometimes people want to grab a bite or linger over a coffee or beer without having to round up a companion. Are there places around the triangle, especially south and west of RTP, where singles and single-retirees are frequent customers? Places other than fast food emporiums. I'm thinking Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Sometimes people want to grab a bite or linger over a coffee or beer without having to round up a companion. Are there places around the triangle, especially south and west of RTP, where singles and single-retirees are frequent customers? Places other than fast food emporiums. I'm thinking Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina.
FWIW, those places are S&E of the Triangle not S&W of it.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Mac's Tavern in Cary usually has a healthy amount hanging around the bar, especially on nights with live music.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Mac's Tavern in Cary usually has a healthy amount hanging around the bar, especially on nights with live music.
Yep, this. People of all ages hang out there, which really makes it nice IMO, but there are definitely retiree aged singles there on a regular basis hanging around the bar and definitely on music nights.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
FWIW, those places are S&E of the Triangle not S&W of it.
Depends on where you are I guess. Relative to Raleigh, I tend to think of them as slightly west (and south).

Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I guess bars are okay for some, but I am rather meaning places serving food rather than pick-up lines. (Actually, I wouldn't know a pick up line if it bit me.) Places for breakfast, lunch, coffee, wine or a beer in the late afternoon/ early evening. And to avoid an arguement, let's just say south of the triangle.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Mac's serves breakfast, lunch, coffee, beer and wine in the late afternoon/early evening

Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Mac's is a restaurant/bar/tavern...they do serve lunch and dinner (although the food isn't great IMO, unless you like burgers, nachos and wings).
You can pretty much hang out in there anytime. It's not a singles bar or anything but everyone is friendly, you can go there and watch a game or play darts or catch open Mic night or Trivia or whatever.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
I guess bars are okay for some, but I am rather meaning places serving food rather than pick-up lines. (Actually, I wouldn't know a pick up line if it bit me.) Places for breakfast, lunch, coffee, wine or a beer in the late afternoon/ early evening. And to avoid an arguement, let's just say south of the triangle.
Many places in the Cary/Apex area are "taverns" or "pubs". That is to say they serve a beer (as per your request), but not "pick-up kinds of places. Yes, you'll strike up a conversation at a bar, where people are having drink, enjoying food, and talking, but it's only a pick-up joint if you want it to be.

In addition to Macs:
Corner Bar in Cary
Train Station (formerly Harrisons)
Bospherus (Turkish, food only, and damn good. You'll be sitting alone at a table, so bring a book)
Briggs (you might like it for good breakfast. not my cup o tea)
many many many others.

Oh, and never one to avoid an argument, Cary and Apex are Southeast of RTP, which is what is mentioned in the OP. Honestly, all jokes aside, there are lots of places. Best thing I can suggest is to go out and explore. Once you find one or two that you DO like, then you can post here for some comparative places and will get a LOT of great suggestions.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM

Whoa when did Harrison's change their name? I could have sworn it was the same a couple weeks ago when we went but then again we probably didn't bother to read the sign lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary