U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM

7 posts, read 10,602 times

Advertisements

My husband is being offered employment where he can basically live anywhere. We have settled on North Carolina and primarily looking into Charlotte and Raleigh. Raleigh is much closer to my family living in Virginia and upstate NY. My questions are about Apex and Holly Springs schools. It appears redistricting and overcrowding are a serious problem. I have a 5th and 7th grader so I am interested in Middle/High Schools. Also, people I have spoken to said the schools are extremely competitive. I'm not worried about academics because both my children are good students. However, my daughter in particular loves to cheer and wants to continue when we move (she has just learned her backhandspring). One person that I spoke to said most girls get cut unless that have been doing competitive cheer previously. There tends to be a lot of conflicting statements so any/all information would be appreciated.

My questions are:

1. Is overcrowding a serious problem? Do the schools have large pupil teacher ratio and many portables (trailers)

2. How competitive (hard to get into) are the sports. Primarily cheerleading

3. How likely are the schools to be rezoned in the near future

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM

21,862 posts, read 33,469,600 times
The schools question(s) has been answered ad nauseum - you can put "wcpss" into the search function for more details. You can also read the N&O online to keep up (newsobserver.com) with what is happening now and what will happen in the future. Suffice to say - school situation is in flux, what's your definition of overcrowded, and most schools use portables (not sure what the issue is with them but people always ask).

As far as cheer, my niece has made it onto m.s. team with no prior experience and no back handspring She just made the h.s. team. AS a parent, one of your most important abilites needs to be the ability to filter out what's true and actually happens from what is b.s. spouted by parents whose Special Snowflakes are not granted their every whim. My niece did say that the girls who got cut were the ones who fooled around the whole time during tryouts - even though they were some of the best there.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,544,981 times
I can speak for Holly Springs...

1.) To my knowledge, overcrowding is not an issue. We are a town of 19K (+/-) and we have 3 elementary schools, 2 middle schools and 1 high school. I don't know what the student/teacher ratio is but I don't think it's unreasonable. My son goes to the new middle school and there are no portables although I have observed 2 portables at the other middle schools.

2.) It's school sports, you can only draw from a finite set of students so that would vary by school, not by town. It's not like traveling sports where your pool of applicants contains every ability level. Having said that, the boy across the street tried out for the High School football team and there were no cuts. How cheerleading is, I don't know - I don't have a daughter.

3.) Rezoning...well that's whatever is the politically correct statement of the day. It could change after the next election for all we know. Do we move kids based on race? Income? No idea. I know that we go to the school that is physically closest to our house and I don't envision that changing. I think your toughest decision is year round vs. traditional - I think that is where all of the movement comes from as it is all supply vs. demand. We are happy with year round and the year round school happens to be the one physically closest to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary