Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times

Advertisements

Curious question -- my TWC seems to be missing WTVD (ABC) in Cary - so none of my shows recorded yesterday on WTVD/ABC. When I realized this last night, I checked all their channels and I had perfect channels everywhere except on channel 9, 111, 1111 or 1112 which are all WTVD.

I checked on our TV that only gets basic cable and it didn't show them either so it isn't a tuning card issue or a recorder issue.

I just checked this morning and still no go. Not sure what I am going to do without two days of GMA and The View!! Anyone else having this issue with Cary TWC or elsewhere in RTP?

I called TWC yesterday & the gal was very puzzled and said it must have something to do with WTVD sending their signal, and said there was nothing she could do other than open a ticket in case others also reported it.

Just curious if anyone else is having an issue or if I need to call the cable folks out to check my setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 AM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
It's all good here.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
Thanks Mike! I'll give TWC a call to find out what could be weirdly wrong!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times
Had this happen a couple times with the NBC signal and curiously, only on 1 TV. My husband went kind of crazy scanning and rescanning the channels, testing the cable box, etc. All to no avail. The signal came back by itself after a day or two. I don't think TWC can do much either. Sorry!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 AM

99 posts, read 181,901 times
I made a digital HD antenna from wire coat hangers, a 2x4, washers and wood screws (items laying around the house), a $6 signal transformer (cable plug from Radio Shack) and get every "over-the-air" channel super clear. All I need now is a box with apps for a couple more news and sports channels that stream over the internet, and I've cut my cable bill down to my high speed internet access fee of $41.95 a month.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 AM

181 posts, read 338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
I made a digital HD antenna from wire coat hangers, a 2x4, washers and wood screws (items laying around the house), a $6 signal transformer (cable plug from Radio Shack) and get every "over-the-air" channel super clear. All I need now is a box with apps for a couple more news and sports channels that stream over the internet, and I've cut my cable bill down to my high speed internet access fee of $41.95 a month.

I stripped off one end of the TV cable down to the copper wire, about an inch of exposed wire, maybe less, made a hook on the end, hooked it onto the screw that hold the faceplate to the electric outlet box. and tightened. Getting all the local OTA channels with stunningly clear picture...Whole house wiring is the TV antenna..

First tried it on an outlet with a plastic faceplate and plastic box..would not pick up ABC11..VHF... next tried an outlet with a metal faceplate and box... does great...

This wire IS NOT plugged into the outlet....

Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
I stripped off one end of the TV cable down to the copper wire, about an inch of exposed wire, maybe less, made a hook on the end, hooked it onto the screw that hold the faceplate to the electric outlet box. and tightened. Getting all the local OTA channels with stunningly clear picture...Whole house wiring is the TV antenna.
I sincerely doubt that your faceplate screw is interfacing with the house electrical wiring. If it is, you might want to have an electrician check that out ...

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM

121 posts, read 177,875 times
We've very occasionally had that happen with WTVD on the set in our bedroom. Rebooting the box usually takes care of it, though twice I've had to completely power down (pull the plug on back) the converter, and disconnect/reconnect the coax cables between the wall plate/box and box/TV. I'd guess there's some type of corrosion building up in the connectors and impeding the signal just enough to knock it out. Not sure why only WTVD is affected, or maybe the issue is also affecting some of the many channels we never watch.

I should replace the cables at some point, but since it's only happened a couple of times in the past few years and only my wife watches TV in there, I haven't bothered yet.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I sincerely doubt that your faceplate screw is interfacing with the house electrical wiring. If it is, you might want to have an electrician check that out ...
If it is a metal outlet box, the faceplate screw should be making connection through the box to the bare ground wire, which does run through out the house.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
If it is a metal outlet box, the faceplate screw should be making connection through the box to the bare ground wire, which does run through out the house.
I stand corrected. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a metal box + ground. One question (and waaayy off topic): In that setup, if I'm touching the metal faceplate or screw, do I potentially become a path for grounding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary