Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times

Advertisements

It isn't safe to eat the fish b/c of the contamination from the toxic cleanup site issue on that place near the airport -- can't remember what the name of the place was but remember when they were steam cleaning the dirt and you saw the steam cloud from 540? more info on that place is on another thread. the cleanup must be done since i haven't seen steam in awhile -- but the original contamination affected the silt that ended up contaminating lake crabtree years ago and it takes time to work through. or something like that.

In any event, I see folks with their dripping dogs on the greenway so they are getting wet somewhere along the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 PM

11 posts, read 32,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
liliana, sent you a dm.
Got it, thanks!!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyBrown View Post
Have you checked out Lap It Up in Durham? I haven't been there myself, only driven by, but from their website it looks like it may work for you. Lap It Up - Dog Swim, Learn and Play Park in Durham NC

I'm looking into it, but its in Durham and $15 for 15 minutes, or $20 for 20 min...it can get expensive. Good alternative though for when its very cold outside.

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
That sounds like BS to me. Four people bitten in the same week at a public park by dogs? How would that not make the 6 o'clock news? Sounds like the ranger just didn't want dogs off leash in the park and made an excuse

If you live in Cary, you might try the lake that sits behind the Kildaire Swim Club. This time of year there isn't a soul over there. You'll just have to dodge goose poop
I, too, found it odd. We have not gone back to Blue Jay Point since then, but we might take a walk there with the dog who is not fond of swimming, so we can check it out and see if other people continue to allow their pets to swim.

I don't live in Cary, but its not far from me, so this might be a good alternative once in a while Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Same thing happened to my dog at Jordan Lake. He loves running after and trying to bite the breaking "waves" when the boats go by (crazy dog), but he cut his leg. It was a very clean cut so I'm assuming it was a broken glass. Nothing angers me more than people too lazy to properly dispose of anything (from cigarette butts to napkins to bottles and cans)...rant off...

I take him to Harris Lake now. I've noticed the shoreline there is much cleaner. There is a walking trail that hugs the shore. If you dog is not up to a walk, there is a little secluded area to let the dogs in the water. If you are standing looking at the rest rooms, go to the right where there is a big picnic shelter. You will see a path to the left of the shelter, follow that and there are a few nice little areas for the dogs to get in the water. I like it because it is pretty secluded - the rangers will leave you alone because the dogs are techincally supposed to be leashed, and hardly anyone goes back there, they tend to stick to the pre-defined routes.

But I agree with you this area is lacking for places for dogs to be dogs (unless I'm missing something).
Thanks for your response!

I'm sorry to hear about your dog getting cut Alli's cut was definitely a bottle and it was deep - we ended up taking her to the vet the next morning because of how it looked.

The incident at Jordan Lake is very unfortunate because this particular spot was great to take them swimming. I noticed then that that this particular area of Jordan Lake was quite dirty - not sure why it was so un-kept, and I am not sure if other areas are/were this full of trash.

Harris Lake sounds great! Thanks for the suggestions...we'll definitely have to check it out.

~Liliana

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I wouldn't swim in Lake Crabtree on a bet. I've seen dogs in the water there, but I wouldn't let my dog swim there either. it is not clean!

My dear old dog Shasta used to swim in the Susquehanna River in NY...until she got really sick. She was sloughing off her intestinal lining and the vet did not think she was going to make it. He said it was sure to be something she picked up in that river (and the shoreline where we took her was loaded with goose poo.) So I would not take a dog to swim anywhere the water is not clean enough for humans.

I'm sorry about Shasta and hope she recuperated quickly.

I believe my husband and I stopped this lake once to check it out. We saw the signs about not swimming and the area where we stopped, the water did not look very nice. We would not want to let them swim where humans are not allowed either, too many dogs have gotten sick, very sick, from swimming in polluted waters.

Quite a few good options folks have mentioned though, I've got my work cut out in checking them out and reading about their water cleanliness = )

Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You can't eat the fish that come out of lake crabtree - no way would I let my dog swim in it
Lap it up is the safest solution, albeit not free. Dog Holiday Resort is building a pool to add to its new facility for doggie daycare, dog boarding and grooming. We just used them for grooming and they were great. The place is immaculate and has some very cool setups and activities for the pups.
Dog Holiday Resort
A few mentions on Lap It Up. I live in Raleigh and would only be able to take them there over the weekend. Its a great option, though it can also become $$$, I'm going to consider it and at least go there once in a while.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The advisory below recommends not eating carp or catfish from Lake Crabtree, but says it is safe to swim.
http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...sheet50704.pdf
I do recall the water didn't look too clean even for swimming when my husband and I check it out. I'll look into it again though as it could be a good option.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
It isn't safe to eat the fish b/c of the contamination from the toxic cleanup site issue on that place near the airport -- can't remember what the name of the place was but remember when they were steam cleaning the dirt and you saw the steam cloud from 540? more info on that place is on another thread. the cleanup must be done since i haven't seen steam in awhile -- but the original contamination affected the silt that ended up contaminating lake crabtree years ago and it takes time to work through. or something like that.

In any event, I see folks with their dripping dogs on the greenway so they are getting wet somewhere along the way!
I'll definitely look into it. I hope its clean because I would not want my dogs to get sick.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 PM

Default Gone swimming

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know all know, that my husband and I have gone twice to Lap It Up in Durham, NC. Both times, Sasha enjoyed her swimming time! The first time, we took Argus to accompany Sasha, but he didn't quite 'get' the pool concept - he still had a great time though. The second time we took Tommy, and I was sure he was going to 'get' the pool concept...to my surprise, he did not. We did get him to swim a little and when he did swim, he was happy. We'll be taking them again soon (especially Sasha), and we'll bring Tommy again to see if the 2nd time he does better.

There were many suggestions, and we will be checking them all out.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the responses!
~Liliana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary