Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im interested in bungalow homes/ historic neighborhoods in Durham for middle income families where there is walkable sidewalks to downtown? Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:15 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
What price range, specifically?

Off the top of my head, the more affordable neighborhoods near downtown are Old North Durham, Burch Avenue, West End, parts of Morehead Hills, Old West Durham, and Cleveland-Holloway.

If you give us a price range, though, we can help you narrow it down.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
oh sorry about that. I was hoping for under 200K but I guess 235K would be the highest. I know thats not much but its my budget. If the historic area isnt in that range, could you suggest areas for a small family, with young child. walkable areas, to shops or close to shops, bike trails, easy access to dowtn for work, sporting events, cultural events-not interested in teh public schools as we homeschool and private school but looking in that range. thanks

Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
oh sorry about that. I was hoping for under 200K but I guess 235K would be the highest. I know thats not much but its my budget. If the historic area isnt in that range, could you suggest areas for a small family, with young child. walkable areas, to shops or close to shops, bike trails, easy access to dowtn for work, sporting events, cultural events-not interested in teh public schools as we homeschool and private school but looking in that range. thanks
It's doable though you will have to make compromises on home size and renovation status. In my neighborhood (Trinity Park), the houses at the south end of the neighborhood go from the $300's to the high six figures and even a couple of $1m+ properties. The north end, on the other hand, has houses ranging from the $100s to $300s. East of Gregson and north of Green will have the most properties in your range. You'll typically find things in the 1,000-1,500 sq. ft. range in that price range.

The other neighborhoods mentioned by peperoberto also have some more affordable locations. I might add Northgate Park to that list; not as walkable to shopping but great renovated WPA-era park and greenway bisecting the neighborhood. Good luck in your search!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
You could find something in that price range in Old West Durham. It might be small, though. I know some families that live in that area. Not sure how walkable to shops, but I do recall they have some sidewalks.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Old West Durham sounds about perfect. Very walkable to the 9th St area and the free connector that gets you to Duke, Brightleaf, Downtown and Golden Belt. Watts Hillindale too.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:22 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
There are several houses in Burch Avenue on the market for between $110 and $230k. It's about a 1/2 mile from Brightleaf square, a mile or so from Five Points, and abuts Duke which is an area a lot of neighbors use for jogging etc. For bike rides, I often head down Duke University Rd to NC751 and head north from there, as there's plenty of routes through Durham and Orange County to travel. Also, just a few blocks from Duke's Nasher Museum. Also lots of families (off the top of my head I know of 12 houses with children under 3 years old), and a newly renovated park right on Burch Ave itself.

Of course, plenty of neighborhoods on the west side of Downtown, including Old West Durham and Trinity Park, match this description. I know, as BCR said, that Trinity Park may have some affordability issues at that price point, and I'm not sure how many young families are in Old West, but they are both great places as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
There are several houses in Burch Avenue on the market for between $110 and $230k. It's about a 1/2 mile from Brightleaf square, a mile or so from Five Points, and abuts Duke which is an area a lot of neighbors use for jogging etc. For bike rides, I often head down Duke University Rd to NC751 and head north from there, as there's plenty of routes through Durham and Orange County to travel. Also, just a few blocks from Duke's Nasher Museum. Also lots of families (off the top of my head I know of 12 houses with children under 3 years old), and a newly renovated park right on Burch Ave itself.

Of course, plenty of neighborhoods on the west side of Downtown, including Old West Durham and Trinity Park, match this description. I know, as BCR said, that Trinity Park may have some affordability issues at that price point, and I'm not sure how many young families are in Old West, but they are both great places as well.
I always forget about the Burch Ave area. I like that area alot! It deserves more mentions on here. A rejuvenated business district on West Chapel Hill St. would make it unbelievable! It seems gentrification has been rolling down the hill south of Chapel hill St towards Morehead.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I always forget about the Burch Ave area. I like that area alot! It deserves more mentions on here. A rejuvenated business district on West Chapel Hill St. would make it unbelievable! It seems gentrification has been rolling down the hill south of Chapel hill St towards Morehead.
See, all you have to do is mention something on the internet and it gets DONE! lol

Self-Help to redevelop section of downtown Durham :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary