Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times

Advertisements

I was reading this thread about heat in the triangle and I know my upstairs is noticeably hotter (think sauna) than my downstairs. I know with two story house, especially a two-story-great-room, the upstairs A/C unit does a lot more work. Would an attic fan help in situation like this? How do I help the attic have better ventilation and cooling in the summers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Depends on how old your home is. Most newer homes use ventilated soffits and ridge vents to promote better airflow. We are also starting to see some homes with sealed attic spaces.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:19 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
does your house have a ridge vent at the roof peak? attic fans typically cost more in energy than they save as they pull conditioned air from inside the house to the attic if the office's vents do not deliver enough volume(they rarely do). They are also a leading cause of house fires because the fan motor burns out, the fan seizes yet, the thermostat is still calling for airflow so it overheats.
Advanced Energy is a group of building scientists out of NC State and they have some great articles on attic ventilation, among other things.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I was reading this thread about heat in the triangle and I know my upstairs is noticeably hotter (think sauna) than my downstairs. I know with two story house, especially a two-story-great-room, the upstairs A/C unit does a lot more work. Would an attic fan help in situation like this? How do I help the attic have better ventilation and cooling in the summers?
i love them. cheap and easy to install and thermostat controlled.
cannt say nuf good bout them.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-07-2007, 03:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
They may feel great in spring or in the late fall but as mention above it going to pull any air condition air out of the house. In order for the fan to have the best circulation you will need to have windows open and now you are going have to deal with humidity and pollen being blown into the house.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
The OP didn't post whether he was referring to whole-house attic fans which suck the air out of the house and blow it into the attic or just a small powered attic ventilation fan which is just to blow the hot air already in the attic to the outside.

I know my walk-up attic is hotter than I would have imagined and I have a ton of insullation, rafter baffles, ridge vents everywhere, and one gable vent in a hard-to-access part of the attic. Doesn't seem to do squat as it must be 140 degrees up there when it's 90 outside.

I've been considering some sort of powered attic ventillation to help cool the attic down. They have solar ones that cost more initially but don't use any electricity obviously. I'm personally more concerned about the NOISE they make than anything else. I don't want to have to hear a droning attic fan while I lay in bed.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
I got an attic fan when I lived in NC. If your house is above 2300 sq ft I would get 2. We lived there 1 season without it and then I got someone to come do it. The airco bill went down. I had a rancher built in the 80's.
If your home holds hot air it is never a good thing. It causes your airco to work harder.
I did it, it helped, it saved money.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Default Attic fan installer?

Can anyone recommend someone in the Triangle/Wake Forest areas to install an attic fan?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
Most HVAC people I talk to strongly recommend AGAINST them for the reasons listed here. They'll tell you they pull conditioned air from inside your house and into the attic.

A better avenue would be some sort of radiant barrier that reflects the suns radiant heat away from your house as that's where the heat is coming from. 90 degree outside air doesn't magically make your attic 145 degrees. It's the radiant heat.

With that said I'm not personally aware of an appropriate product. I'd think it'd need to go under the shingles but above the roof deck. I've seen foil-backed insulation installed in the roof truss/rafters, but I'd think that'd be trapping/reflecting all that heat back through the decking.

Bah! What do I know! All I know is my attic gets about 15 degrees hotter with each step you take up there.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Our hot water heater is in the attic and yesterday the pilot went out, I originally thought my Husband didn't pay the bill. Anyway, the gas co. guy came over and he said because we have no window or Attic fan in the attic there is very low oxygen and therefore snuffed out the pilot light due to extreme heat. If I wasn't renting this place and owned it I would definetly put in an attic fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary