Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times

Advertisements

Ok so after googling this project I found a site map showing it roughly between 540 and mcrimmon opposite the storage center. That would make sense Bc that white house across the storage facility just went on sale and is just adjacent to this project.

I read that AAC owned the Alston Town Center property and underwent bankruptcy proceedings in 2013. I wonder who owns this property now?

The original proposal 2005ish? http://www.aacusa.com/downloads/Alst...nformation.pdf

At that time they were referring to it as Cary Creek Commons

Also of interest. Walkable lunch options for Panther Creek Students.

http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Pla...troduction.pdf

Last edited by JQ Public; 07-08-2014 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:49 AM

169 posts, read 541,014 times
Looks like the proposal recently submitted to the town of Cary is from John R. McAdams Company, Inc.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:52 PM

21 posts, read 35,022 times
Here's a helpful link where it showed up for June 26th, 2014:

http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Pla...d+by+date).pdf

Appears "Phase 2" has also had a sketch plan submitted, for "drive-thru facilities", and "100,000 sf" of retail, and "100 residential units".. Hmm..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 PM

Interesting. I would love to see specifics...especially the timeframe and name(s) of the anchors.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM

27 posts, read 101,709 times
Whole Foods Market planning new store for west Cary - Triangle Business Journal
Whole foods coming to Alston Town Center in 2016

Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,280 times
We live in Amberly. The incoming development from the new 540 is the reason why we moved here. These new retail projects including Parkside, Alston Town Center and a second retail center at Green Level Church and Carpenter Fire Station will improve home values in West Cary. We saw the same things happen on the North side of 540 in Brier Creek and the Triangle Town Center area.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:43 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seligkeit View Post
We live in Amberly. The incoming development from the new 540 is the reason why we moved here. These new retail projects including Parkside, Alston Town Center and a second retail center at Green Level Church and Carpenter Fire Station will improve home values in West Cary. We saw the same things happen on the North side of 540 in Brier Creek and the Triangle Town Center area.
Home values improved around Triangle Town Center? My impression was that maybe it did at first, but that the surrounding "MiniCity" has caused them to go in a downward spiral. . . .

Old 10-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Any new info on this development?

Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM

32 posts, read 43,373 times
Anyone know anything on the timeframe of this center and Whole Foods?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:40 PM

33 posts, read 64,214 times
Cary News JULY 7, 2015
Cary postones decision on Alston Town Center plan

BY WILL DORAN
wdoran@newsobserver.com

Cary postones decision on Alston Town Center plan | News & Observer News & Observer

CARY
Cary Town Council members don’t consider drive-thrus and seven-lane roads pedestrian-friendly, and they cited those concerns Thursday night in rejecting a plan for a new downtown-style development in northwest Cary.

Cary Creek, a Charlotte-based development partnership, submitted preliminary plans for the second phase of Alston Town Center. The site consists of 58 acres at the southwest corner of N.C. 55 and N.C. 540, directly to the north of Panther Creek High School.

The developers already have town permission to build a Whole Foods there. But the second phase is a much larger plan, consisting of a dozen retail and office buildings, a hotel and several mixed-use buildings that would have apartments on the second floor above stores, salons, galleries and more.

It was that second phase that the Town Council voted unanimously to table until a future undetermined date.

“I thank those here for their effort,” Mayor Harold Weinbrecht said. “I look forward to hearing from you again.”

The council chose to table the hearing instead of denying the project outright, since doing so would require the developers to wait at least a year before trying again. Representatives for the developers said the work is already a decade in the making.

The plan considered Thursday would have included about 345,000 square feet of retail space and 30,000 square feet of office space, as well as a half mile of “main street” space with window shopping, sidewalk cafes, plazas and other pedestrian-focused amenities. It was supposed to be an attractive, walkable area full of benches and public art.

Cary Town Council members, however, weren’t buying the pitch.

“I know what we’re going for, but I don’t think this is going to achieve it,” said Jennifer Robinson, who led the board’s opposition to the plan.

The H-shaped mainstreet area presented in the plans include a significant amount of space along a seven-lane road. Both legs were also anchored at one end by drive-thrus.

“That’s not a main street,” Robinson said.

“Drive-thrus at the entrance to a premiere town center project doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies, either,” council member Don Frantz said in agreement.

Jason Barron of Morningstar Law Firm, a lawyer for the developers, said his clients would agree to get rid of one of the drive-thru lanes and make sure that the other isn’t used for fast food. He said a bank wants to be on the site and would need a drive-thru.

Even after those concessions, though, the Town Council did not let up.

“This feels like a shopping center,” Lori Bush said, not meaning it as a compliment.

“I think it could be reworked,” Weinbrecht said.

Mayor Pro Tem Jack Smith was the most favorable toward the project but still voted to table it. He said he thought the rest of the council was getting too caught up in concerns over drive-thrus, and that he was more concerned about the planned residential development.

“I’m not trying to build another downtown Cary, not trying to build another (downtown) Apex,” Smith said. “We’re trying to build an urban feel. And that said, I don’t know how you can have an urban feel without drive-thrus.”

The site, as proposed, would have had 157 residential units, although most of them would have been hotel rooms. Because of special zoning rules, this is the only area of town where Cary counts hotel rooms as residential units.

The developers said they thought hotel guests would contribute to the pedestrian feel of the site, but Smith said out-of-town guests alone can’t be expected to prop up an entire main street area.

“It seems like they’re trying to impose this pedestrian feel on an environment that, except for the hotel, there’s no pedestrians,” he said.

Robinson said she also was concerned that the few apartments proposed for the site would be placed between a busy road and the back loading docks of some of the retail buildings.

Doran: 919-460-2604; Twitter: @will_doran

Read more here: Cary postones decision on Alston Town Center plan | News & Observer News & Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary