Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

All that has been done for the SEHSR project is engineering studies. Not one dollar has been appropriated for land acquisition, construction, rolling stock, or the operational subsidies that the trains will require. Full SEHSR is on the order of a billion dollars. I support SEHSR and I believe it's an inevitability, but there is plenty of room for reasoned discussion about when it will happen -- and it's not under local or state control. Politics will decide.

Phase I of the new station is for Amtrak, although there will be stub-in for the platform that would serve SEHSR. The station itself will be more than large enough to accommodate SEHSR passengers; compare the square footage to many rail stations in Europe that are the same size but handle 5X the daily passenger count of even the SEHSR projections. What Phase I will not have enough of, is parking -- but the city is supposed to remedy that with a new deck.

I don't argue that the new station should not be called Union Station; I was simply pointing out that the current one is not Union Station. But I'll bet you that when the new station opens, it is named for somebody... most likely Meeker.

As for relentless promotion of downtown, that's precisely what Meeker did. I don't think anyone would disagree with that description of Meeker's agenda. However, we might disagree over the degree to which he should have pursued the agenda. The hyperbole around the 2010 announcement has died down, thankfully, and been replaced by a much more thoughtful plan that is driven by NCDOT not the City staff. For one thing, NCDOT knows something about railroads. For example, the City's 2010 plan didn't even provide a second station track for Amtrak. Insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM

192 posts, read 312,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtransplant View Post
that's an awfully central-centrist view of things and offensive to those of us who are not well centered - emotionally, mentally or physically.
Funny!!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
I think this is a great project. From the little that I have read, the new station will be used exclusively for Amtrak at first, but will be easily upgraded to accommodate HSR and light rail.

Raleigh is in a nice location as a connector between the southeast and the mid-atlantic/bos-wash corridor. I'd love to see it more connected to DC, Philly, etc.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:02 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
When I think Union Station, I think of St. Louis - Welcome to St. Louis Union Station

Still, a new train station built for a future that includes Amtrak and light local rail would be really cool.

I also can't wait for a high-speed line to DC. It makes day trips that much easier.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 AM

246 posts, read 498,222 times
Has anyone seen any architectural drawings of the proposed station, or know where they can be found?

I'd love for the building to have styling reminiscent of the stations built during th golden-age of train travel. Not grand, necessarily, but dignified and attractive. My fear is that it would be built in the simplest, cheapest manner possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary