Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you have medicare HMO insurance there, where you give up your medicare and it pays for the HMO and you only have a copay? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Yes, it's called "Medicare Advantage" plans. Bc/bs offers these pans, as well as several other carriers.

PS - please do not read my reply as an endorsement of Medicare advantage plans h but they ARE available here. Just be aware that not too many doctors accept them.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 PM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I know with my high deductible plan, I do get the negotiated rates if I go in-network with BC/BS - at least for doctors, but I assume with tests as well. Since your out-of-pocket counts toward the deductible I'm sure the insurance company wants a say in what is "usual and customary." For bloodwork you can look online and get the tests that way - MUCH cheaper, and your blood is still drawn at a local lab.

My $10K deductible plan is $77.40 per month - not bad for a 48 year old female. Especially now since preventive care is covered. If/when I work full-time again, I'll definitely sign up for the highest deductible plan possible.

You always get the negotiated rate for anything that is not covered with a copay.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, it's called "Medicare Advantage" plans. Bc/bs offers these pans, as well as several other carriers.

PS - please do not read my reply as an endorsement of Medicare advantage plans h but they ARE available here. Just be aware that not too many doctors accept them.
Here in CA we have 3 senior HMO's. You don't pay any premiums to the insurance company, they get paid out of the medicare payment trough S.S. Then all you pay is a $10.00 copay for everything.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
Here in CA we have 3 senior HMO's. You don't pay any premiums to the insurance company, they get paid out of the medicare payment trough S.S. Then all you pay is a $10.00 copay for everything.
We have the same thing here in NC. You see the insurance companies advertising it every year during the Medicare Annual Open Enrollment period.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Just remember: You cannot choose to go where ever you want under those medicare advantage programs. You are limited to a list of acceptable institutions, physicians and service providers. If you go outside that list, you may not have any insurance coverage at all.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Just remember: You cannot choose to go where ever you want under those medicare advantage programs. You are limited to a list of acceptable institutions, physicians and service providers. If you go outside that list, you may not have any insurance coverage at all.
And there are probably very few physicians that accept it.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
And there are probably very few physicians that accept it.
I freely admit that am not a fan of Medicare Advantage plans (or HMO's for that matter), BUT the number and quality of physicians that accept these plans is variable from county to county.

In fact, Wake County has a decent list of service providers for Medicare Advantage plans. I would guess the same is true in Durham County. Unfortunately, The same cannot be said of New Hanover County, Franklin, Beaufort County, etc. etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary