Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

Falls of Neuse widening ahead of schedule - Raleigh - NorthRaleighNews.com

For those of us that rely on FON to get to and from home, this is amazing. My wife and I were discussing their progress the other day and had guessed that they were ahead of schedule, but not by as much as they are. You can almost see daily progress when you drive there, which, for an NC construction project, is unheard of. Typically you barely see progress for days or weeks at a time, but the guys and gals working on FON are doing a great job. I can't wait until it's done.

Now if only they could create a new switchback for greenway access from the western side of FON so I don't have to cross a busy 4-lane road with my daughter on the bicycle, we'd really have something special
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM

494 posts, read 816,419 times
I hope it stays ahead of schedule and nothing sets them back. I agree the workers are doing a great job!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Are they adding more lanes or widening the narrow lanes?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM

494 posts, read 816,419 times
They are making Falls of Neuse four lanes.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
They are making Falls of Neuse four lanes.
That, plus a median and adding a sidewalk on one side and a "multi-use" path for cycling, skateboarding, etc on the other. Finally more bicycle friendly! The old FON was a bicyclist death trap.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
I had to drive up that way a few weeks ago and holy crap I'm sure all that live or travel that way will be overjoyed when it's done. What a messed up situation right now.

Also, anyone know what is up with this traffic circle in Bedford? Signs kind of seem to indicate opposite directions on this traffic circle.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I had to drive up that way a few weeks ago and holy crap I'm sure all that live or travel that way will be overjoyed when it's done. What a messed up situation right now.

Also, anyone know what is up with this traffic circle in Bedford? Signs kind of seem to indicate opposite directions on this traffic circle.
Wow....that's just....wow.

I can see it now....

"But officer, the sign says to go LEFT."

Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Yeah, I live up that way and drive Falls of Neuse all the time (during off peak times for now) and have been very impressed with the progress. I am curious to see how they handle the intersection of Dunn Road & Falls of Neuse which serves as the entrance to the Bedford community. Up until now they have been working around that area but it looks like they are now starting to widen and modify it for the four lanes. Such a transformation over the past year. Some good, some bad IMO, but something was needed along that road as rush hour traffic was horrendous.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:00 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,522 times
My wife was teasing me because I've kept saying that they've done a great job with it. With the scope of the project they've done a very good job minimizing impact on traffic.

My only question: Will there be 2 straight lanes going north at the Raven Ridge Rd intersection? You know currently it's just the one and it creates that long line from 4p on, and a not-so-safe situation with people cutting in last minute. I keep checking that area out but it doesn't look like there's enough room for that? Or I suppose the R lane will be a straight/turn option? Anyone have any idea?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
My wife was teasing me because I've kept saying that they've done a great job with it. With the scope of the project they've done a very good job minimizing impact on traffic.

My only question: Will there be 2 straight lanes going north at the Raven Ridge Rd intersection? You know currently it's just the one and it creates that long line from 4p on, and a not-so-safe situation with people cutting in last minute. I keep checking that area out but it doesn't look like there's enough room for that? Or I suppose the R lane will be a straight/turn option? Anyone have any idea?
From the documents I found on the city's website here:

Falls of Neuse Realignment and Widening Project - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

Here is how that intersection is due to look when done:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary