Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM

70 posts, read 126,371 times

Advertisements

Hi all...my hubby just thought of this very good relocating question since we will need a car to move to Raleigh...how much average do you spend on gas per month? I know it prob depends on diff factors but here is a scenario maybe some of you are in: (1 car for now)

Lets say your commute 5 days per week...and is approx 20-40 min driving per day for work. Plus little extra driving throughout the week for your usual errands. If you can approximate..we just are trying to figure out what our full budget would be. We did visit Raleigh last weekend and rented a car and even things are spread out...it all seemed kind of close together. Crabtree Valley was appealing cause was 10-15 min close to downtown (which was a cute, clean, fun area btw especially Fayettville St!) and lots of stores, restaurants etc. Brier creek appealed to us too. Some ppl told us you can walk to some supermarkets from some apartment complexes in Crabtree area. If this is true..we would save a little gas maybe cause we live in nyc and are used to pushing our little cart to the supermarket

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM

also...if I worked at NC State and we lived in crabtree valley...how many minutes drive is it during rush hour? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,024 times
Your monthly gasoline bill would vary greatly depending on the type or vehicle. A Dodge Ram might be triple the gas cost of a Prius.
I think I once read that the average mileage in this area is about 12,000-15,000 miles per year. For a car with 20 mpg, that is about 700 gallons, or close to $3,000 per year. Don't forget insurance, tires, maintenance, etc.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
Google Maps will give you a general idea of how many miles apart places are.

And this site will give you gas prices: Raleigh Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Raleigh, North Carolina

There are also annual taxes on vehicles. http://www.wakegov.com/tax/taxratesf...s/default.aspx

Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,138 times
Like someone else said, this can vary by hundreds of dollars depending on type of car and commute miles. Get your Excel spreadsheet out. Determine what kind of car you will buy and go to Fuel Economy to get the MPG. Make yourself a formula in Excel: #miles (one way to work)x46(round trip per day, 23 days per month assuming your work M-F)/MPG. For example, if you live 5 miles from work and get 20 miles per gallon your formula would be 5x46/20=number of gallons of gas. This will tell you the total gallons you need to get to work. Multiply that number by $$/gallon which right now is running about $3.79/gal. but it fluctuates. That will give you the cost to get to and from work each month. I add an extra $100, but my minivan gets 15mpg and I drive four kids different places.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 AM

208 posts, read 414,873 times
Two cars driving from Cary to Merck (27712) and Cary to Duke we typically spend $70/wk for one and $20/wk for the other. Add in the tolls ($300) and we are up to around $950 for two months. Thanksfully our new house will be completed by the end of the month and we will cut 20 minutes AND the tolls off of each of our commutes.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,238 times
Currently I spend about $200 per month for a midsize car with quite a bit of driving. My husband is closer to $150 with a slightly more efficient car and the type of driving you're referring to. Which is funny since we only have $200 allotted for gas in our budget.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
If you worked at NCSU, why would you not try to find an apartment/house for rent near campus? Then you could walk to work or ride the Wolfline onto campus. Lots of apartments in that area are located on the Wolfline and within walking distance of a supermarket.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 AM

Thanks all for the info...to eva...I've worked at a college before which I liked doing so I want to apply to some jobs there...but I dont think I'd want to live super close...cause wouldn't apartments near there have tons of college students? no offense to college students...but wouldn't those bldgs have more partying/noise,etc....?.in our late 30's/early 40's...want to start a family soon, etc.. lol...maybe it's a bad assumption...also.... isnt NCSU in South Raleigh? I don't mind working in that area but lots of ppl told us there is way more crime in S.Raleigh...is that true?? Thanks!!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
I would look at apartments/houses around Cameron Village personally. Those are a healthy mix of undergrad and grad students, young professionals, retirees, etc. And the crime rate around there is low. I wouldn't really consider that South Raleigh. It's kind of it's own district. There's a few apartment complexes near campus that are infamous for being party zones but in all my years living around campus it wasn't much of an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary