U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:16 AM

546 posts, read 2,309,791 times

Advertisements

I have reseeded a small patch in my side yard and am wondering if I can get it to "take" with the conditions. I have been able to keep it moist (since it is so small) but am wooried haw it will do through the winter. I know a lot of you are much more knowledgable than I am on the subject. What are my chances?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:18 AM

8,269 posts, read 23,740,989 times
It should do fine if you keep it watered and take care of it for the next 2 months.
I haven't even thrown my seed out yet!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 AM
rfb

2,054 posts, read 5,630,702 times
You want to seed in the Fall, not Spring. This gives the grass a chance to get its roots growing now, which will help the grass make it through the hot summers. The grass will do fine through the winter. When you seed, the new grass usually has much thinner blades than the established grass. Also, some of the grass may not be visible at all. But come next spring, the grass will pop back out and do great. You will probably have a few bare spots, but don't worry. Just power seed (aerate+seed or slit-seed) next Fall and the bare spots will, for the most parts, fill in. When I've done this in the past, it takes 2-3 years for the lawn to become fully established, but once you've done that it will look great.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:36 AM

275 posts, read 1,069,713 times
Does the reseeding ever end? Everyone in my neighborhood aerates and reseeds every year...doesn't it ever last thru a 2nd year? Don't know if we just have poor soil conditions or what.

We did the aerating yesterday, and this year will the reseeding (lots of seed, trying 2 types this year, fescue and kentucky blue grass mix since we have lots of shade) plus starter fertilizer & lyme. We've done this every year (2 yrs) and here we go again...we always end up sparce and patchy by the end of summer.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 AM

we overseed yearly, but only aerate every two years or so.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 AM

3,096 posts, read 7,032,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhalc View Post
Does the reseeding ever end? Everyone in my neighborhood aerates and reseeds every year...doesn't it ever last thru a 2nd year? Don't know if we just have poor soil conditions or what.
These cool weather grasses don't spread on their own. You have to overseed to replace any grass that doesn't survive the summer even once the lawn is established. And in the first 3 years or so you are still trying to establish the initial lawn anyway.

You should get your soil tested and make sure you are doing the right things to improve it. Make sure you cut to the appropriate height (fescue should be tall. I see way too many people cut it too short and ruin a yard).

Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 PM

850 posts, read 3,490,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
You want to seed in the Fall, not Spring.
I've read that it depends upon the type of seed. Fescue is okay to seed in the fall but with Bermuda its better to wait until spring as it needs the hot sun to germinate.

Not an expert in the least but we're waiting for the spring to retill/reseed with Bermuda though may do some overseeding with a winter rye soon.

Lauren

Old 10-08-2007, 01:07 PM

546 posts, read 2,309,791 times
Thanks for the info. I will continue to water and hope for the best!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:13 PM

I think in NC it is still generally recommended to plant even Bermuda grass in the early fall (like 2 weeks ago) when the day time temperatures are still warm. I planted a few patches of bermmuda early this spring and while it germinated, it all pretty much died shortly thereafter.

I'm no expert though either .

Last edited by lamishra; 10-08-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 PM
rfb

2,054 posts, read 5,630,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
I've read that it depends upon the type of seed. Fescue is okay to seed in the fall but with Bermuda its better to wait until spring as it needs the hot sun to germinate.
Good point - my comments were only about fescue, as that is what I have. Bermuda seems to be pretty rare in Raleigh - out of the neighborhoods I've lived in over the past 20 years, I've seen very few yards with it (less than I can count on one hand). It may be true that you need to seed Bermuda in the spring, although I guess I just assumed folks used sod as that is all I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary