Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 AM

60 posts, read 221,304 times

Advertisements

Hi, All!

I recently purchased a home in northern Durham county and am really happy with everything - except the bees that live in the ground outside my front door. I utility technician told me they were yellow jackets and can be very aggressive if disturbed. I haven't had any problems yet, but am concerned about the first time I have to mow the grass - assuming it ever rains again!

I don't want to treat them myself - I'm a wimp and am too chicken to apply products myself. Old-timers tell me to pour gas down the hole and run like the Devil's chasing me.

Can anyone recommend a pest service to remove them? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,195 times
You definitely want to get rid of them before cutting the grass. When I was a kid I was stung by about 10 while mowing the lawn. Ever since then I always look ahead of me on the ground to see if I see any bees near the grass. I would agree with pouring the gas down the hole, but I'm sure any exterminator could take care of them for you.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
NCSU: ENT/ort-100 BEES IN TURF

Biting Pests

Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 19,991 times
I had some kind of bees or wasps in my Cary backyard in the ground at the base of my wall. I boiled a big pot of water, added about a 1/2 cup of dishwashing soap, and poured it down the hole at night (less active for the bees), and ran like the dickens.

I never heard from them again.

There was no need to use gas or any poisons.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
You could always do same thing this carolinian did the other day to get rid of his yellow jackets. I think his method took care of them.

Stung: Man Trying To Kill Wasps Burns House - News Story - WXII Winston-Salem (broken link)

Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
We had the same issue when we were back in NJ. My husband (I'm chicken too) went out at night and poured boiling water down the main entrance (there are usually 2). I'm not sure if they were yellow jackets or ground bees but I've read that yellow jackets are busy 24 hours/day whereas bees are all usually in the hive at night.

Anyhow, we didn't have any trouble after that (the nest was RIGHT in the middle of our backyard).

Lauren

Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
We had the same issue when we were back in NJ. My husband (I'm chicken too) went out at night and poured boiling water down the main entrance (there are usually 2). I'm not sure if they were yellow jackets or ground bees but I've read that yellow jackets are busy 24 hours/day whereas bees are all usually in the hive at night.

Anyhow, we didn't have any trouble after that (the nest was RIGHT in the middle of our backyard).

Lauren
We had yellow jackets in an underground nest. Hubby bought a spray killer w/ a long straw nozzel. The guy at the hardware store made a recommendation. He sprayed at dusk and ran like heck. It rained the next day... we think this might have helped wash all the killer down the hole? Not sure, but my Dad dug the thing up 2 days after we sprayed and all the yellow jackets were gone. Of course, Dad did not ask me if he could dig it up... he just made sure we were all in the house and got the shovel. He's much tougher than me and hubby. Fortunately they were all dead or gone.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:03 AM

SunnyKayak,

Thanks for the idea, but no thanks!
Is this the equivalent of checking your gas tank with a match?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 AM

To all posters thus far,

Thanks for your responses! Looks like the general consensus is pour something hot down the hole and run. Old-timers win - can't beat grandmas and grandpas for knowing how to fix it yourself! But, I'm a youngin' and scared of multiple bee stings. Plus, I've got earwigs, which I've seen addressed in another thread.

Can anyone recommend an exterminator?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:52 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
We had yellow jackets in an underground nest. Hubby bought a spray killer w/ a long straw nozzel. The guy at the hardware store made a recommendation. He sprayed at dusk and ran like heck. It rained the next day... we think this might have helped wash all the killer down the hole? Not sure, but my Dad dug the thing up 2 days after we sprayed and all the yellow jackets were gone. Of course, Dad did not ask me if he could dig it up... he just made sure we were all in the house and got the shovel. He's much tougher than me and hubby. Fortunately they were all dead or gone.
Did the same thing and it worked. My kids and neighbors kids all got stung before we got it done tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary