Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

After a long time anticipating, the time is coming for the big move to NC.

My question is, when should I get a realtor?

Timeline-wise, we are renting an apartment starting November 1 for a 6 month lease. We have the intent of buying at the end of the lease, but are not adverse to buying sooner and breaking the lease if we need to in order to get a perfect house. Our preference is to move in to a new home 6 months + 1 day from November 1.

We are undecided on new or existing construction, and we intend to narrow our price range as soon as my fiancee and I both have employment secured - right now she is looking, but I am set.

When do you think I should start calling realtors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
It may take 6 months for you to find a house and close on it. I think you should start early, interview them and determine which one you will use to help you find the potential homes. That way the realtor can start looking for listings for you.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:21 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
Lightbulb The Sooner the Better

The sooner the better... A realtor will setup a site just designed for you (plugging in price range and location) and this site will be updated daily by automatic queries of the MLS listings. New homes will be added to your list, homes will be removed once under contract, homes will be updated if the price changes.

My recommendation would be the sooner the better. Plus it is always fun looking out homes online and eliminating them prior to looking in person. It is also great to mark a house as a 'favorite' to keep an eye on it if the home reduces it's price.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I have clients who come down having already talked with me, gone on house hunting trips, and when they get here get a lease (6 months usually) on an apartment and we begin looking in earnest when they are ready. I think it all depends on the person though.

You will want to get "settled" and figure out which way is up essentially. Your agent can also help you with the getting settled thing, it is nice to have at least one person in the area you can call with a question!

Some people find an agent after they have been here a while and by driving around they have narrowed down an area. It is nice to find someone who is familiar with the area you are moving into. The triangle is a big place.

Good luck!

Leigh

Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
I've found my real estate agent to be quite knowledgeable about stuff other than just the real estate transaction; specialty markets, schools, community parks, etc. I now ask my real estate agent as far referrals for other services too, handyman, landscaping, etc.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
After a long time anticipating, the time is coming for the big move to NC.

My question is, when should I get a realtor?

Timeline-wise, we are renting an apartment starting November 1 for a 6 month lease. We have the intent of buying at the end of the lease, but are not adverse to buying sooner and breaking the lease if we need to in order to get a perfect house. Our preference is to move in to a new home 6 months + 1 day from November 1.

We are undecided on new or existing construction, and we intend to narrow our price range as soon as my fiancee and I both have employment secured - right now she is looking, but I am set.

When do you think I should start calling realtors?

That 6 months will go FAST.
You will need a few weeks to get over the move. You will likely need 4 to 6 weeks to close on a home. It can be done faster. But 4 weeks is pretty typical.
That leaves you about 4 months to decide where you will most want to buy, to find an acceptable home, arrange your mortgage, and negotiate your contract.

Call a Realtor as soon as you move and feel a little comfortable in the area. You should feel NO pressure from the agent to buy immediately.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:10 PM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times
Do not rush yourself. Come down here first, settle down, and get the feeling of the different neighborhoods and zip codes. Drive around and see as many open houses and model homes as you can. Get a feel of cost and where is the best value available.

You can use any of many free MLS search web sites available to learn about the market condition and growth trends. If you have children, spend sometime learning about school ratings in different zip codes. When you narrow your choice to few neighborhoods or zip codes and ready to buy, then hire an agent if you need to.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
The first thing you need to do is figure out which areas of the Triangle are right for you. I say this because most of the realtors specialize in specific areas. So a realtor that covers, say, the Wake Forest area is not going to be as much help if you want to buy in Chapel Hill. Your commute will be a major factor, of course. If you want to live within 10 miles of your job, it'll be easier to nail down your general location. But if you're okay with a longer commute or if there are other factors to consider, then ... well, you've got some research ahead of you.

Remember that Realtors can't always give you a totally straight answer to some questions. They aren't trying to be sneaky, but when you are an official Realtor-with-a-capital-R, you can't always speak frankly about, say, the crime levels or quality of schools in a specific neighborhood (although I've known of realtors who will point you towards certain websites so you can do the research & judge for yourself). A Realtor can be a great help (I don't know what we would have done without ours!), but in the end, it all comes down to you.

Get here in drive around. A GPS can be a great help. See some neighborhoods, maybe go to a few open houses, & refine your list of "needs" and "wants". Even after you've found a Realtor, feel free to keep driving around & looking for inspiration. Then make sure you tell that realtor EVERYthing that you like & what you don't. The more specific you can be with your realtor, the better he or she can help you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary