Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmoose View Post
3) Essentially ZERO chance of getting our 8yr old into a Magnet program until 7th grade.
To be honest, I'm not sure I have a problem with this. Shouldn't application priority be given to people who have been living here for at least a year or two and been paying taxes that fund the magnet schools? With the district going back to address-based assignments, you could always concentrate on buying a house that would put you in the proximity node for the magnet schools if this is a sticking point for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM

9 posts, read 14,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure I have a problem with this. Shouldn't application priority be given to people who have been living here for at least a year or two and been paying taxes that fund the magnet schools? With the district going back to address-based assignments, you could always concentrate on buying a house that would put you in the proximity node for the magnet schools if this is a sticking point for you.
I understand that those already living in the area have priority. Just a little disappointing to learn that if you didn't have your child essentially "born" into the area, you have no real chance of getting in.

And I admit that someone who has lived there the last 5 years has invested more into the school system through property tax than I have - but that is usually reflected in the home sale price. ie - better school neighborhoods (usually) command higher prices all other things being equal.

Thanks for the counter-point!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
You can just plug in your proposed address here:
WCPSS: Parents: Preview your proposed 2013-14 base school assignments (no guarantees that it won't change of course!)
Isn't that the staff proposal that the Board killed on October 4?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Default Timeline

I should mention - we close on our house Nov 9th. Long story and really irrelevant other than we have to move SOMEWHERE after the 9th.

We've considered just moving and trying to find a rental that has a high probability of being in the area we would like to be. But other than working from the Draft Plan - we don't even know where to start on rentals.

Thanks for the thoughts. Keep them coming. Will be scheduling the moving trucks in a few days.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmoose View Post
I understand that those already living in the area have priority. Just a little disappointing to learn that if you didn't have your child essentially "born" into the area, you have no real chance of getting in.
I wouldn't call 3-4 years "never." That's actually pretty good when you think about it. My sister did all 13 years of her schooling in WCPSS and didn't get accepted into a magnet program until high school. But she sure was glad to get that spot in Enloe. Almost all of my friends were transplants like my family, and many of them got into the magnet programs in middle or high school. For elementary school it does seem you have to get in by kindergarten or 1st grade, otherwise forget it. You're basically hoping for a bunch of kids to drop out of their application seats so that you can snag one.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Yep!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Maybe - but I can tell you that when I put my address in I get the same school that has been my base school for the last 5 years. So, if you were going to start somewhere....

Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Next year they'll be using a sorting hat to assign schools. Just you wait and see.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Next year they'll be using a sorting hat to assign schools. Just you wait and see.
You made me smile! Took the edge off of the somewhat self-imposed stress we've got going on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.K. Rowling
“Sorting hat: Hmmmm, difficult very difficult. Plenty of courage I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent and a thirst to prove yourself, but where to put you?

Harry: Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin.

Sorting hat: Not Slytherin, eh? You could be great you know and Slytherin could help you on the way to greatness, there's no doubt about that. No? Well if you're sure, better be Gryffindor!!!!”

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
If your primary motivation to move is the kids education and quality of life/climate ...

obviously the climate across the Traingle will be the same, so you pick the schools. And you pay the price, whether that's higher rent, higher proeprty cost, and a combination of higher taxes.

if you're going to move to Chapel Hill/Carrboro, just make sure you know you have to be IN the school zones. County students don't attend those schools, unlike every other system which is county-wide.

in Wake County, Elementary Magnet school attendance has NOTHING to do with your child' braininess by the way. Nothing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary