Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times

Advertisements

The demolition derby is worth the money if you've never been .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:19 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
May have already been said but...

The best roasted corn in beside the Rabbit Barn

Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM

459 posts, read 757,436 times
Just got back from the fair. We got there about 3PM and lucked into a great parking space at Carter Finley. We enjoyed Lumpy's Apple Pie Ice Cream in the Got to Be NC tent in front of Kerr Scott Building (and no line, by the way). Found our favorite Fudge booth and got our pumpkin fudge fix, as well as a new flavor - Fudge on Fire, which is chocolate with a hint of jalapeno. Watched Greg Fishel do the weather for the 6PM news. Played lots of games of "I Got It". And enjoyed the exhibits, the people watching and the beautiful weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
If you have a smartphone, I recommend downloading the NC State Fair app. Gives you a top down view of the fairgrounds and lists all the food, exhibits, and rides. You can even click on a ride, food vendor, etc to see what people rated it and what they recommend.
Thanks for the reminder Evaofnc! I used the app to search for the Deep Fried Girl Scout cookies that my husband insisted on getting. I'm glad he did, and that he was willing to share with me. They were really good.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Yeah, you can instead drive around NCSU for 45 minutes to find a place to park!
...or park in the visitor parking of the parking deck by Pullen Park or at Dan Allen in under a minute.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
By the time the average person drives there, park, walks to DH Hill and orders, it'll still be 45 minutes until you get your ice cream.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
By the time the average person drives there, park, walks to DH Hill and orders, it'll still be 45 minutes until you get your ice cream.
Learn to walk faster? It honestly shouldn't take you more than 10-15 minutes to park and get ice-cream from there.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorinCary View Post
JI used the app to search for the Deep Fried Girl Scout cookies that my husband insisted on getting. I'm glad he did, and that he was willing to share with me. They were really good.
They were good, but man, were they rich. I had two, took the third one home, and then broke down and ate it cold out of the fridge. Yeah, they're that good. Wish I had more self-control, but from everything I've heard, it's overrated.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:22 AM

498 posts, read 854,125 times
GatorinCary, Where is your favorite fudge shop and where are the deep fried girl scout cookies? Thanks!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM

459 posts, read 757,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
GatorinCary, Where is your favorite fudge shop and where are the deep fried girl scout cookies? Thanks!
It's the NC Fudge booth. Go past the building that all the church restaurants are in (as you are heading toward the Kerr Scott Building) and turn left at the Amran Shriner's booth. The NC Fudge booth is across from McBride Concessions. They'll give you samples of anything you want to try.

Then after you get your fudge, go back down the road the fudge is on (towards Hillsborough St) and turn left after the big row of trees. It will be on the left.

I attached a picture my husband took. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Any insider tips for our first year at the fair??-deep-fried-girl-scout-cookies.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Turkeys aren't shot at the Turkey Shoot. I think I heard that building in the video was going to be torn down this year -- not sure.

The term Turkey Shoot is used for shooting contests -- and they use only targets and not turkeys.
Haha! Both of my kids had classmates tell them that they can shoot a real turkey! I dint think that sounded likey, but my daughter said several classmates confirmed it (5th grade) and the other had classmates tell her if you hit the turkey, you get to take it home to cook it!!

But.. My daughter is being called a "dumb northerner" at school, so maybe they were testing her. The kids have been really mean to the 5th grader-maybe that will be another thread in a plea for help??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary