Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times

Advertisements

Ok, just read through all the added posts and WOW!! You guys are great! I am laughing as I'm reading-first is the "no alcohol". Gosh, I guess WI is famous for its drunks because there isnt a festival around up there that doesnt have beer tents! Heck, when I was a kid, I won 6 packs of beer at church festival games-that was an adventure at the age of 12!!
Up there, the evening crowds are made of up many drunks-something we're not a fan of being around. We had summerfest there and the drunks took over the place by early afternoon.
I was surprised to read "most of it is paved". Since I've only been to one other state fair, I guess I just assumed all fairs have paved grounds?? Hmm. Because of my son't age, we upgraded last year to a heavy-duty jogging stroller that will go though areas if they arent paved-but its such a bulky thing. Yet if there are areas that are not paved, I dont think we should bring the lightweight compact stroller-dont want to get stuck.

My daughter told me teachers said kids leave early and dont come Friday to go to the fair and I couldnt believe it, but I guess it's true! Too funny! Though I guess its better than the darn WI fair in the middle of August-heat, humidity, smelly farm animals make for cranky kids and parents. This will be different. I originally said I dont like many deep-fried foods (except fried cheddar chunks) but now I might have to indulge in the girl scout cookies! My daughter will be sure to find the fudge. And I'm glad to hear there are quieter places for my son-he's getting better, but still gets over-stimulated at times.
Oh, this is going to be great!! I'm more excited than the kids!!!
Thanks again for ALL of the info. I feel ready now!
Oh, by the way Francois, what this you dont like kids very much!! Spend a day with my kids and you'll change your mind-just kidding-spend a day with my 5 year old w/ Down syndrome and you'll NEVER want to be around kids again! I joke that if we had him first, we wouldnt have had anymore!! (he's the best, we're just tired of the terrible 2s that have lasted 3 years now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Ok, just read through all the added posts and WOW!! You guys are great! I am laughing as I'm reading-first is the "no alcohol". Gosh, I guess WI is famous for its drunks because there isnt a festival around up there that doesnt have beer tents! Heck, when I was a kid, I won 6 packs of beer at church festival games-that was an adventure at the age of 12!!
Up there, the evening crowds are made of up many drunks-something we're not a fan of being around. We had summerfest there and the drunks took over the place by early afternoon.
I was surprised to read "most of it is paved". Since I've only been to one other state fair, I guess I just assumed all fairs have paved grounds?? Hmm. Because of my son't age, we upgraded last year to a heavy-duty jogging stroller that will go though areas if they arent paved-but its such a bulky thing. Yet if there are areas that are not paved, I dont think we should bring the lightweight compact stroller-dont want to get stuck.

My daughter told me teachers said kids leave early and dont come Friday to go to the fair and I couldnt believe it, but I guess it's true! Too funny! Though I guess its better than the darn WI fair in the middle of August-heat, humidity, smelly farm animals make for cranky kids and parents. This will be different. I originally said I dont like many deep-fried foods (except fried cheddar chunks) but now I might have to indulge in the girl scout cookies! My daughter will be sure to find the fudge. And I'm glad to hear there are quieter places for my son-he's getting better, but still gets over-stimulated at times.
Oh, this is going to be great!! I'm more excited than the kids!!!
Thanks again for ALL of the info. I feel ready now!
Oh, by the way Francois, what this you dont like kids very much!! Spend a day with my kids and you'll change your mind-just kidding-spend a day with my 5 year old w/ Down syndrome and you'll NEVER want to be around kids again! I joke that if we had him first, we wouldnt have had anymore!! (he's the best, we're just tired of the terrible 2s that have lasted 3 years now)
I've always taken a umbrella stroller for the kids and didn't have any problems.

I'm not surprised to hear that Francois doesn't like kids! Cranky old men!!!

Enjoy!!!

Vicki

Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Avoid it. That's my recommendation.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,428 times
I sort of agree with the previous poster....HOWEVER, if you already promised your kids...then you are stuck. I am not a big fair-fan,,,mainly because I think its a ripoff(I don't know how people with multiple kids afford it)

I think my biggest issue with it is the admission price. I am so used to the Jersey shore boardwalks where you can walk around (and park)for "free" and then just pay for the rides and food. Food costs and rides at the fair also seem to be pricey to me(again comparing it the boardwalks). Even at theme parks, the admission price includes non-stop rides.(they still get you with high food costs).

HOWEVER..with all that said. Our daughter looks forward to the fair each year, so we will be heading to it one night this week

Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I have always wished they would go to an armband or hand stamp system where you can buy an armband for a set price and ride as much as you want. The tickets have always been a hassle: knowing how many to buy, having to keep up with them, count them for each kid, having to find a place to keep them without loosing them, standing in line for more...
Seems like there has to be a better way.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:36 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I think they should go with an armband system as well. Aside from the issues mentioned above it would make things move a lot faster at the rides AND you wouldn't be left with leftovers OR short of tickets at any given time.

I told my kids "pumpkin picking or state fair" - they picked the fair. I guess they are too old for the pumpkin patch! But it's fine - we live in NC now and it's a tradition they can grow up with.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
UsedtobeVaNC-I just printed our itinerary-(your post). Thanks for being our personal tour guide.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM

I had 3 kids from my classroom leave early to go to the fair on Friday..I have no problem with it at all..its a great family-time event and tradition for many families and the state of NC(my classroom theme next week is actually community traditions and State Fair history ...so I encourage my class going to the fair if possible...even if it means leaving early one day. Family time is sometimes just as important as being in school IMO...as long as its not overly done.

I actually would be doing it myself next week(take a 1/2 day off work) to go early but I was out last week for 2 days with strep throat so I will just brave the rush hour traffic/crowds after work one day next week to go .

Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 PM

goodbyesnow---That is TERRIBLE that your 5th grade daughter gets called a dumb northerner. I have NEVER had that happen in my classroom(I have taught third and first) and as far as I know, my daughter has never been called names either for being from NJ.(again, not that I know of....she would have been VERY upset if it did so I am sure i would have known about it if it was done to her face). Usually other kids want to know more about NJ and ask her questions about it.(in a good way). Honestly, many of the kids she has met here are from the northeast or midwest originally too.

What a mean thing to say...

Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,703 times
But.. My daughter is being called a "dumb northerner" at school, so maybe they were testing her. The kids have been really mean to the 5th grader-maybe that will be another thread in a plea for help??

That's terrible! Are you in Wake County or a surrounding county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary