Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 PM

513 posts, read 695,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Dont worry. There are more Red Sox fans here than any other team. lol There is a huge Red Sox meet up if you want to watch games with others.
Good to know, not that surprising considering how many people from MA have transferred down there. Do either Carolinas even have an MLB team? Lol, I've never even thought of that until right now, but i don't think they do

Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Good to know, not that surprising considering how many people from MA have transferred down there. Do either Carolinas even have an MLB team? Lol, I've never even thought of that until right now, but i don't think they do
Nope. Root for whatever pro teams you like. We're open minded that way down here.

Just don't cheat on us by rooting against our ACC teams in college sports and you'll be fine.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:35 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takealready View Post
It's irritating as well. Even when I lived in Atlanta, it was the same thing. People complaining about moving down south and how much they "hate it" but yet they always brag to their family about how big of a southern house they have for half the price of a northern house.
I moved here from Atlanta in the early '80s. That was going on, even back then, The late Atlanta Journal columnist/humorist Lewis Grizzard used to say to those folks "Delta is ready when you are" (which was their advertising slogan at the time).

Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
I'm a NY transplant. I was born and raised in Queens. I wouldn't say I'm a NY 'flaunter' but I'll always consider Queens my 'home' no matter how long I live in NC. I don't think there's anything wrong with that; it's just the reality of my life. I like living here but nothing can ever replace my memories of growing up in NY. My father recently passed away and was buried with my mother in Calvary Cemetery in Woodside, Queens. They spent the first 62 years of their life in NY and moved to FL for their golden years. They wanted to be buried in NY since it was their 'home' and I think it was the right decision. There's room left in the plot and I recently decided that my husband and I will be buried there too when our time comes.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm a NY transplant. I was born and raised in Queens. I wouldn't say I'm a NY 'flaunter' but I'll always consider Queens my 'home' no matter how long I live in NC. I don't think there's anything wrong with that; it's just the reality of my life. I like living here but nothing can ever replace my memories of growing up in NY. My father recently passed away and was buried with my mother in Calvary Cemetery in Woodside, Queens. They spent the first 62 years of their life in NY and moved to FL for their golden years. They wanted to be buried in NY since it was their 'home' and I think it was the right decision. There's room left in the plot and I recently decided that my husband and I will be buried there too when our time comes.
That's very sweet.

NC is my home. Always will be, always has been.

I've lived other places. NC has always been home, though.

That said? If you had a gigantic bumper sticker that said "NYC: No place better on earth!" And a license plate holder declaring the superiority of NYC? You would probably find the locals wondering why you're here.

It'd be the same if I moved to Queens and made a point to go on and on about NC. People wanna feel like you enjoy your adopted home state, not that you just tolerate it and you're here sucking up time, space, oxygen, jobs, and public resources because you can't afford to move back home.

Even if that's true for some folks (and I appreciate their plights).

Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
I don't see it as flaunting unless they say something negative about NC.

I think this is a very fascinating time in Southern history. The south never had an influx of immigrants like the north did. People who came for a better life but were still a bit sad about leaving behind the culture of their homeland. They brought some of it with them, along with pride of that culture. That's how we ended up with such awesome ethnic enclaves as Hamtramck (MI), Andersonville (Chicago), and Greektowns.

The northerns moving to the south now are a bit like my Polish and Irish ancestors were to the north when they arrived. But at least now the northerners don't have to change their names to fit in or hide their origins to get a job.

ETA: I take that back, NC did have one huge influx of immigrants very early on--the Scots-Irish and they certainly left their mark on the state. We wouldn't have bluegrass if it weren't for these immigrants!

If none of us brought a love and pride for our original culture and homelands, we'd all still be speaking Native American languages and living in homes that look very different from the ones we have today.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:32 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Funny thread. My guess is that y'all don't live with teenagers. Because if you did, you'd have REAL ANNOYANCES to live with!!!

Reminds me of my friend that has a plate that says "NATIVE NC"! She lives ITB too!!! LOL.

Vicki
Good. That's where we like those native ncers--corralled inside the beltline. Just kidding! Just kidding! She's a rarity anymore in Wake County--she ought to show her pride!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:13 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If you had a gigantic bumper sticker that said "NYC: No place better on earth!" And a license plate holder declaring the superiority of NYC? You would probably find the locals wondering why you're here.
I would never put a bumper sticker like that on my car!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
If a Southerner moved to NY state and had a pro-Southern vanity license tag or bumper sticker, I doubt if any NY citizen would give it a second thought. No one would say or think, "Delta is ready when you are" or "Go back where you came from" or "Don't let the door hit you in the ..." or "95 goes South, too," etc.

They'd think the person liked the South. No big deal.

It's an interesting cultural difference.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-13-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
LOL--I have the opposite with my daughter(Born in Jersey,,moved here when she was 9). She tells everyone she is NOT a Jersey girl and is a full-fledged Carolina Girl forever(Yes, I know, I know...she is not a true Carolina-Girl unless she was born here..LOL..but we don't tell her that).
Even when we visit NJ she will say "Yuck...we are in stinky NJ....not sweet smelling Carolina!"..LOL. BUt she tolerates it long enough to visit family.

I do root for pro football teams from back home(TRIED to root for the Panthers..it didnt "take"..LOL). and TRYING to get into college teams(Go RED!..or Go Light BLUE!..SO many to keep track of)...and I do have a t-shirt that says "Jersey Girls Don't Pump Gas"..but that was moreso a joke from my husband because I STILL have not learned to pump my own gas here(going on 6 years...my dh does it every weekend)....LAZINESS/unwilling to learn/STUBBORN, not "Jersey Pride".

Besides that we do NOT boast from being from NJ and are PROUD to call NC home now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary