Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM

835 posts, read 2,871,466 times

Advertisements

First let me say I am a northerner. I moved here 4-1/2 years ago because I wanted to get out of the northeast for many reasons. I happen to love it here and could never go back. Having said that, if there is one thing I cannot stand it is people who move here and then flaunt their state as if they are forced to be here - bumper stickers, license plates, banners on their homes, etc. I get it that people have their favorite sports teams...I am not talking about that. But when you choose a NC license plate that says "new yorker for life," my first instinct is to say, Go BACK THEN IF IT'S SO GREAT! Just had to vent.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
I find it rather irritating as well. Same as you, the sports teams and all don't bother me. This region has always been more into collegiate athletics anyway. And people just like whatever pro teams they like.

Very obvious statements that indicate one prefers one's home state to one's state of residence, unless they're humor-based, come across as a pronouncement of dislike for the person's state of residence.

These are probably the same people who think we don't do things "right" around here. So, they've come to create a version of what they left because they couldn't afford it and/or couldn't find a decent job there in order to stay.

It's annoying.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 PM

451 posts, read 1,154,962 times
You guys sure can read a lot about people from their license plate I guess the same way I can infer a lot from the significant portion of people who have their name airbrushed in cursive on their front plate, ie the myrtle beach special. I actually think people here are quite over-sensitive to it. There's nothing wrong with having pride or being partial to one's home state. To infer they think they are superior based on that, well, is an inference.

But it has been about a week since a bash the northerners thread has been on the boards, so good timing!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,212,206 times
Wow, seven years living here and I have never noticed this "flaunting". Maybe I just have more important things to worry about?

Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,105,428 times
I did see a "IMISSNC" on a small SUV with California plates about 2 weeks ago. When they parked and exited, I asked her - "So, are you moving back?" and she laughed, and knew she needed to update her plates.

If you establish residency in NC, you're required to get your tags moved here. I bet the non-Raleigh PD's would love to earn some extra money catching these scofflaws.

As to other signs of pride or preference - I don't see them.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 PM

216 posts, read 537,592 times
I choose to have Kansas plates on car. I'm military, and its way cheaper to register my car back home. If it was cheaper here, I would do it.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,324,836 times
Slightly closing the damper on the vent. Its ok to let people know where you came from. Its ok to say its the place you liked, loved, or maybe just felt it was ho-hum. It can be said on a license plate, bumper sticker, or on ones arm just under the I LUV MOM tattoo. I actually enjoy reading ones vanity plates it says a lot about their creativity, their spending habits, and their character in some cases. Some of those characters are Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Supermanm or MOMOF3 or DAD#1 or MEnHIM...just to name a few.

Keep the creativity of the vanity plates going as I for one enjoy reading them and adding to the NC State DOT coffers! Now that's vain man.....not vent just vein!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,105,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc130radio View Post
I choose to have Kansas plates on car. I'm military, and its way cheaper to register my car back home. If it was cheaper here, I would do it.
and if that's proper for our servicemen and women to do, then more power to you, and thank you for serving our country!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,055,504 times
Never noticed anyone flaunting.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
I got the OPs point. I don't see lots of people who do it. But, every now and then I do. It's really obvious. And it would explain why some people just can't make friends and fit into the community.

Like I said. Infrequent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary