Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,920,622 times

Advertisements

I'd love to take my wife and daughter to the mountains this weekend (unless they prefer the fair) to see some fall colors, but am not sure if I should trek all the way to Asheville or keep it closer to home such as Boone. Which area would you say has more fun and more varied things to do for a 4 year old? That would be the deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:40 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
The 4-year-old would probably prefer the fair. Asheville (I'm thinking Biltmore) and Boone (shopping and restaurants) are great for adults.

But Blowing Rock (near Boone) has Tweetsie Railroad. http://www.tweetsie.com/ And they have Halloween stuff on the weekends. I want to go.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-18-2012 at 07:49 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 AM

342 posts, read 751,691 times
+1 on all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The 4-year-old would probably prefer the fair. Asheville (I'm thinking Biltmore) and Boone (shopping and restaurants) are great for adults.

But Blowing Rock (near Boone) has Tweetsie Railroad. Tweetsie Railroad And they have Halloween stuff on the weekends. I want to go.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Remember that Boone has Tweetsie Railroad. My kids LOVE that place. There are also some nice places to stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway in that area such as Julian Price, Moses Cone, and Jeffress Parks.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,920,622 times
I appreciate the "she'll like the fair more" but let me re-phrase my question:

If you were taking a 4 year old to the mountains for a trip from Raleigh, which main area would you prefer and why: Boone area or Asheville area (or suggestion your own)? If you have little kids and have been to either one, bonus points for your shared experience.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 AM

459 posts, read 757,312 times
I love Boone/Blowing Rock! Your 4 year old may like Tweetsie RR. However, October is peak month for visitors in the mountains, so it may be tough getting a room for this weekend. You may find more hotels available in Asheville. I'm just not sure about activities for 4-year-olds there. Whichever you choose, be prepared to pay a premium for lodging.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I appreciate the "she'll like the fair more" but let me re-phrase my question:

If you were taking a 4 year old to the mountains for a trip from Raleigh, which main area would you prefer and why: Boone area or Asheville area (or suggestion your own)? If you have little kids and have been to either one, bonus points for your shared experience.
Yes, we understood the original question. But she'll still probably like the fair more. I'd go the Tweetsie route -- if you can find a place to stay.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,895 times
In addition to Tweetsie, Boone for a kid, because:

Up near Grandfather mountain, an easy (1/4-1/2 mile, uphill) hike to either Beacon Heights or Rough Ridge = stellar view.
College town = great people watching (kid friendly IMO)
Beers at Canyons in Blowing Rock (for the adults, while Kid has great view on deck)
Shorter drive => Less "are we there yet?"
Price Park for a nice picnic by the lake.

One more thing though, in addition to the leaves, make sure there is not a home-game. If there is, then forget that, and go to Asheville.

If you go to Asheville, drive south to Brevard, and then up hwy 276 for awesome views, waterfalls, and take child to Cradle of Forestry museum. VERY cool and interactive.
Arts center on the top of the mountain, just north of 276 on BRP (parkway)
West Asheville has some cook, quirky restaurants
Asheville pizza and brewery (or something like that) is likely kid friendly

And as an aside, bring your mountainbike, ditch the kid, and go ride Laurel Mountain and Pilot Rock. (just kidding, sort of....)

Go to either, and have fun!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,557 times
Boone/Blowing Rock. Aside from the previously mentioned Tweetsie, my son (who had just turned 5 at the time) enjoyed Grandfather Mountain -- which isn't that far away. He loved the swinging bridge and the animals at the park.

Asheville is nice, but I've only been there for a girls weekend, so I can't comment on any family activities there.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
We have a family home in Boone, so we go up there all the time. We like Asheville, too, but you can't beat a free place to stay. We have taken the kids since they were babies.

When we're there the kids like going to Grandfather Mountain. Grandfather has the swinging bridge and the animal habitats as well as museums and gift shops and lots of hiking opportunities. Grandma has taken them to Tweetsie (which they adored, but the spouse and I are not really big on amusement parks, so happy to let them have a little bonding time w/o us). We also go to the Mast General Store in Valle Crucis (not the one in Boone although it's fine, just not an experience the way the Valle Crucis one is). Behind the Mast Store Annex in Valle Crucis is the Valle Crucis town park which is an unadvertised gem. It's flat and down by the Watauga River. Great place for a little one to run off some of the sugar buzz from the candy barrels at the Mast Stores. If you're coming into Valle Crucis from 105/Boone turn right immediately before the Annex. If you're coming from the Mast Store or Annex it would be a left right after the Annex. It looks like you're going through a corn field, but it's a nice park with lots of playground equipment for getting that energy out.

We like to hike as a family, too, so have done quite a bit of that around Boone. For a short hike with an amazing view check out Beacon Heights (no guard rails so watch the little one) or Rough Ridge. We went to Moses Cone Park and Cone Manor last weekend. As a group we hiked up the trail behind the manor toward the Cone graves. Grandma and the kids turned around here and went back down to the manor house to the crafts there and the spouse and I went on up to the Flat Top tower for a fantastic 360º view. We also like Linville Falls (pretty easy — about 1 mile).

There's plenty to keep you entertained for a weekend in the Boone/Blowing Rock area. My kids also like the Gem Mining places which are ubiquitous. Asheville would also be great, but since you're just going for the weekend I'd probably do Boone.

FWIW, my kids would pick going the mountains and going to Tweetsie in a heartbeat over going to the State Fair. Tweetsie has all of the rides, etc, and then you're in the mountains, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary