Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM

32 posts, read 63,993 times

Advertisements

I remember renting in NJ about 9 years ago and they required renters insurance too so I don't think its an NC thing only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 AM

545 posts, read 1,604,677 times
Im my early days of renting, I had no insurance. Then I came home from work one day to see the bldg on the other side of my circle on fire. I called the next week and got my policy.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
How about proof of employment? Most of them require that.
Yep, when we were looking around at apartments, all of them had a background check and employment check as part of the application process. That's part of what your application fee is paying for.

More and more complexes around here are separating out water from the rent. Personally I don't blame them for going this route. We avoided any complexes that had the audacity to require things like cable. What I loved is when they acted like they were doing you a favor by having cable thrown into your rental package. Thanks but no thanks.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Yep, when we were looking around at apartments, all of them had a background check and employment check as part of the application process. That's part of what your application fee is paying for.

More and more complexes around here are separating out water from the rent. Personally I don't blame them for going this route. We avoided any complexes that had the audacity to require things like cable. What I loved is when they acted like they were doing you a favor by having cable thrown into your rental package. Thanks but no thanks.
Yeah. I'd reject one over cable. We only have cable Internet. It's all we want.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 AM

147 posts, read 370,167 times
It makes sense for them to require renters insurance. they don't want misguided tenants suing them when they have a fire or a flood.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM

173 posts, read 312,834 times
When I rented when I first moved here, I was required to have renter's insurance with specific liability coverage. Electric was billed directly from Duke Energy, but water/sewage/trash was all billed by a 3rd party contracted by the management company instead of the apartment complex or Town of Cary directly. All of the apartments we looked at required background checks and not only proof of employment, but also proof of a certain amount of income per month (I think it was 3x monthly rent).

Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
If you've ever stood outside in 20-degree weather in the middle of the night watching as your apartment building goes up in flames, you'll understand why renters' insurance is necessary.
Been there, done that. Nothing like being the only renter in the entire building WITH renter's insurance to have the fire chief look at you as somehow being guilty of causing the fire.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM

42 posts, read 147,850 times
I rent in South Raleigh .. pest / sewer/ water / trash / internet ( some no name service ) is free , we have i think a 25 fee yearly for pool ( outdoor ) and gym access .. we were not required to have renters insurance and you can have any cable internet you like .

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM

70 posts, read 126,286 times
Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary