Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,576 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from NYC to the Raleigh area in the next year. I want to get away from the stress, traffic, high prices of the city and am looking for quiet and relaxing area. I really loved the Cary area, but am reading how singles may not find this to be the place. I am not a bar person so not really looking into a place with an amazing nightlife. But I also don't want to be home alone all the time. I'm looking to rent in an apartment complex that is out of the city, downtown does not appeal to me...born and raised in the city and I don't want anything that resembles city life, even if it is on a smaller scale.

I do not know where I will be working as I will start applying for jobs when I get closer to my move date, but will probably apply outside of the city and the RTP. So I guess I'm not providing much information to work with! I am outgoing and would probably approach meeting people through meetup.com or local events etc. So I guess I'm just asking what neighborhoods would be worth my while to look into. So to summarize to be a little more helpful: Neighborhoods within Raleigh that would provide...apartment complex outside of city, contact with fellow 30 somethings to have a social life, safe and close to stores, as little traffic as possible (I understand the route to the RTP can be a mess). Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
I would pick Durham as a single person, perhaps near downtown. The stuff happening downtown and in the American Tobacco Complex in the past few years is really cool. You have Duke University not far away and Ninth Street with the cool "Bohemian college vibe" for when you want it, but not college kids partying all around you.

I grew up in Raleigh and will likely never leave here, but if I were "landing" in this area as a newcomer knowing what I know, I'd look seriously at Durham. Many say the schools aren't as good in Durham county as the neighborhing ones, but that should be a moot point for a person without kids, and Durham is generally cheaper than Raleigh or certainly Chapel Hill. Vibrant Arts scene which is important to me, plus you're in the middle of the Triangle so going to either Raleigh or Chapel Hill for something is no big sweat.

Knowing where you'll be working will be a big factor, though, of course.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOuttaHere7 View Post
I'm looking to move from NYC to the Raleigh area in the next year. I want to get away from the stress, traffic, high prices of the city and am looking for quiet and relaxing area. I really loved the Cary area, but am reading how singles may not find this to be the place.
Please don't rule out an area that you really liked just because of what you read here (or anywhere else). Granted you would be renting so it's easier for you to move, but still. Not all single people want to live in a city, and in that case a suburb like Cary can be just fine. The Triangle isn't very big, so it's easy enough to get to where things are "happening" from pretty much anywhere. Meetup groups are *very* active in the Raleigh area, so even if you aren't making tons of friends with your apartment neighbors, there will be plenty of other opportunities to do so.

And just because I'm single and living in Cary, I'll throw a plug in for my absolute favorite apartment complex!

Raleigh Apartment Rentals | Brampton Moors Apartments Cary, NC

Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 AM

286 posts, read 685,512 times
You would be safe moving anywhere in the Triangle because there is no place here that feels "city" when coming from NYC. The "traffic" may seem like a joke to you. I moved here from Houston so to me, it feels like I live in a town near other towns.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM

83 posts, read 149,661 times
I would look into North Hills and Brier Creek in Raleigh as well as Durham.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 31,947 times
I wouldn't advise it. I too moved to this state from NYC for the reasons you mentioned. The job market is ridiculously tough in this state. I have family in Cary and at first was restricting my search to Raleigh/Cary. I see that wasn't working and have expanded my search to all of NC. Still no luck. You might be better off elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 PM

83 posts, read 149,661 times
I don't think the market here is any tougher than anywhere else... and the quality of life more than balances out the negatives.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifergo View Post
I don't think the market here is any tougher than anywhere else... and the quality of life more than balances out the negatives.
Her quality of life is going to be pretty low if she can't find a job.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 AM

384 posts, read 596,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKF-CPA View Post
I wouldn't advise it. I too moved to this state from NYC for the reasons you mentioned. The job market is ridiculously tough in this state. I have family in Cary and at first was restricting my search to Raleigh/Cary. I see that wasn't working and have expanded my search to all of NC. Still no luck. You might be better off elsewhere.
I didn't see the OP ask for advice on whether or not moving there was a good idea. She is just asking for ideas on areas that might match her needs.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM

49 posts, read 114,608 times
My boyfriend lives next to Knightdale but still in Raleigh. He lives near the not so desireable areas, but not in the not so desireable area (Auston Grove Apts). I like it there though because it's right off of both 440 and 540, downtown is about 10 minutes away from us, but we're close enough to plenty of shops - I used to live in the country (Caldwell County) so I was used to driving 25-30 minutes to go to the movies, mall, etc. We haven't met too many young people in the apartment complex though. Luckily, he has a lot of friends in Raleigh.

As for jobs, (I know you didn't ask, but I wanted to put it out there) he looked right out of college for about four months and finally got a job in Raleigh because he was referred by a family friend of my former roommate. That got his foot in the door, but he had to do the rest himself. I am also putting out applications now. I have had one phone interview, I am having another one interview on Wednesday, and I've talked to recruiters. Honestly, I think I have had this much response only because I am on my boyfriend's lease, so I have a Raleigh address, and I have more than three years of experience in the same types of jobs I am applying. I will probably end up taking a bit of a paycut too. So far, it seems like employers will put jobs out there, but IF they call you, it will be anywhere from 2-6+ weeks after you submit an application before they call you for an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary