Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

It sounded like that house in Medfield would work, just no goats.

Is that something you can compromise on?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It sounded like that house in Medfield would work, just no goats.

Is that something you can compromise on?
Yes, I can compromise on the goats. But that is the one that is so shaded it would be hard to get a garden. I would be miserable without a garden. I just love growing veggies so much. We're still going to look at it again, though, and see if we don't think it's possible if we remove some trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
I should convince my parents to put their house on the market sooner than they were planning. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for except for only being 3 bedrooms

Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I should convince my parents to put their house on the market sooner than they were planning. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for except for only being 3 bedrooms
Yeah, the 4 bedrooms is kind of a big deal. It would have to be very good on all my other requirements in order for me to compromise on that.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
We've been looking for 3 months.
Ppfftt, that's nuthin'. It takes me longer than that to buy a car.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsbells View Post
Brentwood might work for ya. My in-laws live near there and I swear I've seen a house with chickens. I just checked Trulia (can I say that here?) and I think there is at least 1 home that would fit your requirements, and is WELL within your price range. I know there is a fairly active member who lives in Brentwood who could probably give you more info and confirm whether chickens are allowed or not. Good luck in your home search!
Yes, several Brentwood families enjoy raising chickens. Many have great gardens. There is a very active garden club.

Yes, there are homes (I don't know if any are for sale) that have two living spaces.

We live in a 5-bedroom, 3-bath home, and if not for our dogs, I'd raise chickens because we have a good-sized yard. In the future, we may create two living spaces in our home, it would be relatively easy to do...just add a small kitchen. It's a great option to have.

The neighborhood is insanely convenient to everything. We are 3 miles from North Hills. We are a little over 3 miles from the new Buffalo Road aquatic center. We border the 440 beltline (one beautiful office park separates the subdivision from it) and 540. We are 6 miles from the very center of downtown Raleigh. My husband works for the state, and his commute is literally two minutes -- and he doesn't work at home.

I'm not a real estate agent. Our neighborhood website is beautifulbrentwood.com -- and it's all volunteer and has no links whatsoever as far as homes for sale. It just tells you a bit about what's going on in this neighborhood.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
How about this one: 4908 Baylor Court, Raleigh NC - Trulia

I think North Hills allows chickens. You might have to drive and look at the lot for gardening though.
You might want to go in the morning though, most vegetable gardens do fine with 6 hours of morning sun. That way you could see what the sun situation looks like depending on the time of day.
For example, my lot is pretty shady, but I am able to get enough morning sun to keep my garden fine.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Or this one: http://www.trulia.com/property/photo...C-27609#item-0

it looks pretty sunny too (you can sort of see out the back window in one of the pictures).
Needs some updates, but bonus points for having a bar in the basement.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM

61 posts, read 147,242 times
It sounds like you're looking for a country home located in the city. I think that's why you're struggling. I'm guessing you already know that, though. Homes closer in to everything tend to be on smaller lots, as the lots are more expensive. There tend to be more restrictive covenants because people are closer together. While I don't think what you're looking for is impossible, I do think it may be a bit impractical, given that some of your requirements don't mesh well.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I don't believe goats or other farm animals (besides poultry) are allowed within Raleigh's city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary