Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 PM

53 posts, read 248,016 times

Advertisements

If we can all come together and be open in this private forum, then we can force the dealerships to be more honest.

We paid $18,975 out the door for our new 2008 Impala.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I like to pay with a truck load of zucchini.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
My dad paid me $500 to take his old clunker.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I like to pay with a truck load of zucchini.
wish we could do that...paid @ $20,000 for a 2007 dodge nitro and that was with a trade in

Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
Based on my experience (yours may vary) car dealers do not negotiate in NC. My realtor told me she always pays the sticker price. This blew me away. My car dealer in PA delivers and I will continue to use him, he and his dealership are very workable.
I have never had a good experience with car dealers in NC. Not with service prices, car prices or salespeople. In 2008 we may buy a new car (doing my research now) and I will give them half hour of my time to try and deal. If they act in any way like they did 15 years ago, I will never set foot in a NC car dealership again.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localguywonderingaround View Post
If we can all come together and be open in this private forum, then we can force the dealerships to be more honest.

We paid $18,975 out the door for our new 2008 Impala.
I doubt enough people here bought new cars of the same model to make any sort of comparison meaningful.

As far as dealers "not negotiating" that's just crazy! I'd use the internet to get competitive quotes, use a buying service, go to Costco, etc. When I bought my minivan new in 2003 I got it for less than sticker price and zero percent financing for four years. It's paid off now and I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off - so I won't have to deal with any car buying hassles for a long time.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:58 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,836 times
Buy used...we bought a 2005 Durango last yr, with all the bells & whistles, heated seats, leather, hemi, 4x4 you name it, for $15k less than the original sticker...it was barely 1 yr old. They will negotiate on used cars, its the way to go...I got them to come off about $2500 from the original price.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I've NEVER paid full price for a new car and I've bought quite a few in the last few years!

As a matter of fact...hubby just bought a brand new one last month.

As for WHAT he paid...its difficult to compare prices because the options on each car is so different.

We do ALOT of research BEFORE we go to the dealership and already have an amount in mind as to what we'll pay.

Vicki

Old 10-10-2007, 07:15 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,539 times
I paid well below sticker for my new CRV in '06. The Internet was invaluable, as you can get some GREAT deals online... and then just bring those into the dealer and tell them to match it or you'll walk away. Worked like a charm for me.

On the other hand, I got HOSED on my trade-in. I traded in a LEMON of a VW for well, well below Kelly Blue Book value. Shopped it around to about 5 different dealers AND CarMax and got the same quote from everyone. "They don't make this model anymore... There's been a redesign... People don't want wagons... We'll never be able to sell this." I was so anxious to just unload the dang thing, I bit the bullet and took a big hit on the trade-in. THEN, a few weeks later, I saw the car on the dealer's website, now "certified" with an asking price almost $2K MORE than what I had paid for it NEW almost three years prior!!!

We'd bought used cars before, but after that little experience, I doubt I'll ever do it again. I feel sorry for the person who bought that car. I sure hope they didn't pay anywhere near what the dealer wanted.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:21 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
The only sure way to pay sticker price is to demand to pay sticker price.
Salespeople don't even refer to it.

Well, if one has to buy a hot vehicle, at the peak of demand, when in short supply, in a specific color, etc, then one can almost consider that approach as demanding to pay sticker price.

Anyone should be able to take a car out the door with a total expenditure, tax, tags, fees, well under sticker price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary