Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,821 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I live in NY and I am looking to move to NC, preferably Raleigh. I've visited before and it seems like a great place to live! I have friends there that are willing to help me out, but I know I am ultimately the one that has to make my way.
I've been searching for work long distance, but it doesn't seem to be going very well. I'm more of a face to face kind of person than a cold caller and blind emailer. And Linked In to me is a glorified Facebook and a waste of time (like Facebook). I will be visiting in a few weeks, only this time it will be more for business (i.e.; looking for work, apartments). I have a list of staffing agencies and some companies I'd be interested in working for, my plan is to knock on doors. I've never done that before, and I figure it can't hurt.
Has anybody tried this? Anyone make the move without a job? That would be my other option as it seems like nobody want to talk to you if you are outside the zip code. And hopefully find a job at a restaurant or something temporarily if it lead to it.

Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,803,410 times
This topic comes up a lot (you can search the forum for proper keywords of old discussions), and it is generally agreed that being out-of-state gives a job-seeker a huge disadvantage over those who are already here. Yet at the same time, it's also not recommended to move somewhere without having a job lined up. So...conflicting advice, both sides having their merits. If you already have a good job now, it's probably best not to abandon it to move, so you may just have to keep plugging, and perhaps expand your area of searching. Sometimes people get their local friends to let them use their addresses, but this can blow up in different ways and then you look like a liar. Coming down in person and doing a hard-core search as you're doing is a good idea.

Since this is a universal issue (not just Raleigh), you might see if there is anything about it on the Work and Employment forum.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Thanks Francois,

It really does feel like a stuck situation. I only work part time now, the pay is pretty bad. I have no problem leaving my job since I'm underemployed and not doing what I really want anyway. I thought about using my friend's address but my current job on my resume is listed as NY, that would be hard to explain lol. Thanks for the advice and I will check out that forum.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,214,870 times
What sort of work do you want?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,872,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
...and it is generally agreed that being out-of-state gives a job-seeker a huge disadvantage over those who are already here. Yet at the same time, it's also not recommended to move somewhere without having a job lined up. So...conflicting advice, both sides having their merits.
The dividing line(s) being the nature of the work you are qualified for (or not)...
to what degree whatever your skills are really needed....
how much CASH you can bring with you (or not) to live off of until the stars align...
and then how those balance against the number of mouths you're responsible to feed.

A 20something single with some general skills and a few thousand dollars can roll with the
punches a lot easier than a 40-50something concerned with school districts and health plans...
even if that older person has good experience and references.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 PM

I'm single in my early 30's, no kids. I don't own a house either, so I can pretty much move whenever.
My background is in marketing (media, brand management and campaigns, not sales) but I am willing to work in a restaurant if I had to, I used to bartend also. Part of me really feels like I should just move down there and see what I find, even though it's uncertain and somewhat scary..but it's been uncertain and scary for me in NY for a while anyway after being layed off several times the past few years and only finding low pay jobs.
I'd even go back to school for something else. I just think NC has a better quality of life than NY (I live on Long Island) and better housing options. The rent here is ridiculous.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,471,390 times
Shoot, I'd do it if I were in that situation. Do you have enough money to secure housing? Most rentals will require a job or proof of funds before giving you a lease. You might be able to find a room rental with a roommate that doesn't require a lease and would be more flexible if it didn't work out.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM

I can probably do a three month lease if I go without a job, but that also depends on the rent. If it's something like $1000 a month then no. Do they have room rentals down there? Or apartments in houses? I spoke to a realtor and he told me that's not common, but it's really big up here. There really aren't alot of apartment complexes on LI, at least not as much as Raleigh, not even close. And they are expensive. I also thought of staying at Extended Stay America but the rent is higher :/ Ahh what to do! LOL

Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 PM

19,425 posts, read 27,784,425 times
Returning for a moment to your original post:

I know several people who have secured GOOD jobs from contacts made on LinkedIn, and many who have gotten interviews that way. Like most things of value, it depends on how you use the resources. It should NOT be used like Facebook.

From my experience as a Firm Administrator (that included HR Management), showing up at our reception desk without an appointment pretty much got you no where, except the proverbial circular file. Get somebody on the phone or email, and make an appointment. THAT'S what a professional would do. And that appointment shouldn't be about a job - it should be about making contacts and networking (which is the same thing that Linked In can offer you).

That said, assuming you have some cash and are truly willing to take a restaurant job for awhile, in your situation, I'd say go for it. Yes, they do have room rentals here - rooms in a house with kitchen privileges, or people looking for a roommate. Check out the listings in the classified section of the newspaper (Raleigh Observer) and maybe Craigslist.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:59 PM

804 posts, read 2,002,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD43 View Post
I can probably do a three month lease if I go without a job, but that also depends on the rent. If it's something like $1000 a month then no. Do they have room rentals down there? Or apartments in houses? I spoke to a realtor and he told me that's not common, but it's really big up here. There really aren't alot of apartment complexes on LI, at least not as much as Raleigh, not even close. And they are expensive. I also thought of staying at Extended Stay America but the rent is higher :/ Ahh what to do! LOL
you will tend to find rooms for rent in houses closer to the universities. when my husband was in grad school at NCSU he sub-leased & then eventually leased himself a room in what was an old victorian in boylan heights. it was really a very, very small place & he paid around $400/mo for what i considered to be a hovel! such is grad life.

3-month leases are going to be hard to find, especially with any apartment complex. most landlords will also require proof of employment. there are some landlords out there who will rent month-to-month but bear in mind that you will have to be prepared for the sort of population that may attract. i mean no offense but while some are just poor college/grad students living on a strict budget as a means to an end, some are living that lifestyle as their forever-life & it can bring it's own issues with living with multiple people you don't know well under one roof.

bear in mind that if you do move here, you'll want to make sure you have some sort of cushion in case it takes a bit to find employment. many are moving here & jobs are in demand, especially because they are also sometimes fighting with area college students for part-time employment jobs like bartending / waiting tables.

these are just a few things to keep in mind when considering your relocation. best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary