Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,375,444 times

Advertisements

OK. The State Fair starts in a couple of days. I already have our tickets. It sounds like it is so big that we probably won't be able to see all of it in one day. For those of you who have been before, what were your favorite things to do? What shouldn't we miss? Where should we park? How crazy does it get on the weekends?

Thanks,

Jackie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,197,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Where should we park? How crazy does it get on the weekends?
If I was going to the fair I would seriously consider taking one of the shuttle buses there instead of driving and tryin to find parking. I took the bus the one time I did go to the fair and I was really happy that I did. Maybe I caught the fair on a crazy day, but parking looked like it would have been a nightmare!

North Carolina State Fair ~ Alternative Transportation (http://www.ncstatefair.org/2007a/General/transport.htm - broken link)

Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,966,787 times
I agree with NRG. Also, try to get there EARLY. Fair opens at 9 am I think? Wear comfortable shoes, bring hand sanitizer, quarters for the petting zoo if you have kids, plenty of cash since the one ATM there always has a long line and remember that you can always get your hand stamped to come back that same day.

Oh, there has been some stories in the past with the petting zoos. Extra hand sanitizer or just avoid if you can. I think some people got sick in the past.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,001,444 times
I would suggest getting a map of the fair when you first go in. We tend to go during the week, so we don't have to deal with the crowds quite as much. The map helped us because there were certain areas we HAD to go (the kids zone mainly) and it helped us figure out our plan for the day.

It is good you got the ride tickets early (they are 1/2 off) just be prepared to spend a lot of money on food. We are shocked every year. The only thing we really "have" to have is the deep fried candy bar, gross I know, but soo sooo good!

We don't tend to go to the livestock section, as our kids are not interested in it! We just do the rides and the food.

Leigh

Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,033,181 times
We usually park in one of the private lots owned by people around the fairgrounds. We took the shuttle bus last year and while convenient, it was also a pain. First of all it costs about $5.00 per person, which isn't a lot if it's just you, but it's pretty expensive for a family of 4 when parking generally costs about $10.00. We're usually able to drive around and find a spot for $10.00. ALso, the lines for the buses were LONG. I took the bus from SAS soccer park in Cary and we had to wait over 30 minutes for a bus to take us there and over an hour to leave because there were so many people in line. My kids were exhausted by then and waiting in line for an hour with whiny, tired kids was NOT fun.

Wear comfy shoes, and wear layers if you plan to be there at night. It is usually hot during the day and cold at night. I usually wear a short sleeved shirt and a sweater I can tie around my waist for later in the evening.

Bring plenty of CASH. No one takes credit ot debit cards there although there are ATM machines around. I think you can pay with plastic at the gate, but none of the food vendors take plastic.

Make sure you have some way of keeping your money/wallet and ride tickets safe. Yes, there are pickpockets/thieves there and you won't know what hit you because it's so crowded. I try to avoid taking a pocketbook.

Bring a small jar of hand sanitizer, as someone else mentioned. Once you see the bathrooms, you'll know why. They also have some cleaning crews hired out to clean the bathroom that expect tips in the bathrooms and I've seen a few get pretty agitated at people who don't.

Last edited by lamishra; 10-10-2007 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 AM

600 posts, read 3,440,711 times
Here's a link to the State Fair website:
North Carolina State Fair ~ seriously twisted fun! (http://www.ncstatefair.org/2007a/ - broken link)

We generally park free at Carter Finley-Stadium, but it can be a bit of a hike to get onto the fairgrounds. Parking in the yards of private homes and businesses will be closer, but be prepared to pay $8 - $10 for that. There are trams that you can ride to your general area of parking at the stadium or the RBC Center.
Here's my take on the fair (27 years of attending):

The Village of yesteryear is a pavilion full of arts and crafts, with some very talented folks, but some "trinket" vendors, too. Worth the visit. Some really beautiful pottery from local artisans.

The midway is the midway. Great for kids, tolerable for adults.

Jim Graham Building is full of livestock and poultry. We like that stuff, you may not. The people in there, exhibitors and officials alike, are very nice.

The Kerr-Scott Building is full of house and home goodies, from the Banjo Slicer (gotta see the demo!) cookware, N.C. food samples (Goodness Grows in N.C.), art from the local schools, law enforcement displays (Highway Patrol cars through the years is a kids favorite). College logo apparel, etc.

Shows at Dorton Arena are generally very good! Some top name talent, and some oldies that you might enjoy.

Watch your wallet/purse.
Buy more ride tickets than you think you need. Each decent ride is usually 6 tickets per person. Kiddie rides are less.
Al's French Fries are the best. Period. Don't settle for less.
Avoid the Ostrich Burgers and the Turkey Legs.
Don't wear the chartreuse spandex. It makes people ask you which trailer park you live in.

Enjoy!

Streamer1212

Old 10-10-2007, 08:20 AM

405 posts, read 1,765,512 times
Avoid the turkey legs?!?! Are you insane?

I LOVE me some fair turkey leg. In fact, I'm gonna get my turkey leg on this Saturday! Smoked turkey leg and kettle corn in the same location = heaven.

Advance tickets are essential. It was wonderful skipping that ticket line last year and just waltzing in. We arrived before opening and had no trouble parking in a fair lot very near an entrance. We're planning to do the same this year as well.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 AM

54 posts, read 347,056 times
Do they take debit cards in the crafts and home pavillions? I'd take to carry so much cash on me. This will be my first year to the fair. Will try to go Friday and beat the crowds

Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,375,444 times
Streamer,

Welcome to the forum! You gave me some wonderful pointers. I love french fries so I will be sure to look for the Al's French Fries. And what are people thinking wearing spandex?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 AM

600 posts, read 3,440,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey Crew View Post
Do they take debit cards in the crafts and home pavillions? I'd take to carry so much cash on me. This will be my first year to the fair. Will try to go Friday and beat the crowds
Most of the artisans/merchants in those areas are happy to take plastic.

Jdatlas..........
Al's French Fries has 2 booths at the fair. The easiest one to find is over by the First Aid Bldg.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary